- About Texarkana
- The city of Texarkana is located in Miller County (Arkansas) and is the County Seat for Miller County.
According to the 2010 US Census, Texarkana has a population of 29,919 people, making it Miller's largest and Arkansas' 13th most populous community.
Our Pages for Texarkana ...
|-profile || General information about Texarkana |
|-nearby || What's in the neighborhood around Texarkana |
|-bycounty || Nearest communities to Texarkana (By-County) |
|-census || Census information for Texarkana |
|-tidbits || Tidbits and trivia about Texarkana |
|-genealogy || Our Genealogy Helper for Texarkana |
|-cemeteries || Cemeteries in the area of Texarkana |
|-localpapers || Newspapers published in the immediate area of Texarkana |
|-newspapers || Newspapers published in a broader area around Texarkana |
|-summary || Summarized information |
|-map || Interactive map centered on Texarkana |
|-tripmap || TripAdvisor Tourism pages |
|-misc || Miscellaneous information |
|-wishlist || Things we would like to know about Texarkana |
|-glossary || This page... |
Glossary and Definitions ...
- Census Area for Texarkana
- The Area value provided by the US Census Bureau reflects their statistical (or sampling) requirements and it can be different than the geographic boundaries of Texarkana. For example, if there is a cluster of people living just outside of the city's official boundary, the Census-defined area might be expanded to include that group.
At the time of the 2010 Census, the US Census gave a land area of 41.66 square miles [107.9 km²] and a water area of 0.18 square miles [0.5 km²], giving Texarkana a total area of 41.84 square miles [108.4 km²].
It should be noted that the area given by the Census Bureau can change from one Census to the next. For example, the 2000 Census specified an area of 32.03 square miles [83 km²] for Texarkana compared to the 41.84 square miles [108.4 km²] given in 2010.
- Census Housing Unit
- The US Census considers a Housing Unit to be a place where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter.
Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Texarkana had 13,375 Housing Units.
- Decennial Census
- The US Constitution requires that a count of the country's population be conducted every 10 years. The Census is conducted on those years ending in '0' (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010). This is known as a 'Decennial' Census. The process of taking a Census is called an 'Enumeration'.
The count includes citizens, non-citizen legal residents, long-term non-citizen visitors and illegal immigrants.
The purpose of the Census is to provide information about the demographic and social characteristics of the people of the United States. The results of the Census goes to the federal, state and local governments to support their planning and administrative activities.
The first Census was conducted in 1790. The most recent Census was conducted in 2010. The next Decennial Census will be conducted in 2020.
By comparison, the Canadian Census is conducted once every 5 years and is called a 'Quinquennial' Census.
- A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how residents of Texarkana refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a city's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Texarkana may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.
A demonym for Texarkana is Texarkanian.
For example: My brother moved when young, yet he still thinks of himself as a Texarkanian.
- FIPS Codes
- In the past, the federal government created a set of codes that are used to uniquely identify States, Counties and Populated Places (such as a city like Texarkana). These codes form the Federal Information Processing Standard. (specifically FIPS Document 55-3).
The State Code consists of two digits, the County Code consists of three digits and the Place Code consists of five digits. The County and Place Codes must be used together with the State Code to be truly unique.
For example, the following codes apply to the city of Texarkana:
- State Code: 05 (Arkansas)
- State / County Code: 05 / 091 (Miller County)
- State / Place Code: 05 / 68810
The FIPS Codes have been replaced by an ANSI standard and the GNIS Feature ID. Although obsolete, the FIPS Codes are still in use by some organizations.
For more information about the FIPS Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Texarkana.
- GNIS Codes
- The function of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) is to establish uniform names for geographic features (eg- communities, mountains, lakes, rivers, streams, etc). The BGN was created to address the problems caused by spelling and naming variations. BGN–accepted names are kept in a database called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS), which is operated and maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).
A unique and permanent identifier has been assigned for each feature in the GNIS database. These names and identifiers are definitive.
Texarkana has been given the GNIS Feature ID of '2405580'. Click here to see the GNIS Record for Texarkana.
- A portmanteau is the forming of a linguistic combination or contraction by taking two (or more) words, their sound and the meaning of those words to create a new word. For example, camera and recorder becomes camcorder. An explanation of Texarkana can be found under Toponymy (see below).
- The definition of toponymy includes the study of place names (in this case, the city of Texarkana). Toponymy includes the origin of the name and any meanings or stories that might be behind the name. While we generally limit ourselves to just the origin of a community's name, we appreciate any additional information.
The toponymy of Texarkana:
The name Texarkana is a portmanteau and it reflects the fact that the city straddles the Texas and Arkansas border and lies just north of the border of Louisiana.