Curious and Interesting Names Near Ponoka ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Crystal Springs
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Crystal Springs came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Crystal Springs
- Crystal Springs lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the northwest of Ponoka
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crystal Springs
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grandview
- Grandview lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<2> to the northwest of Ponoka
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grandview
- Gull Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mirror
- Mirror lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the southeast of Ponoka
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mirror
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- New Norway
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pipestone came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pipestone
- Pipestone lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the north of Ponoka
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pipestone
- Red Deer
- Rosedale Valley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rosedale Valley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rosedale Valley
- Rosedale Valley lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the southwest of Ponoka
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rosedale Valley
- Silver Beach
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Silver Beach
- Silver Beach lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the northwest of Ponoka
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Silver Beach
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Ponoka. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- George Trenholm Allen (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born on Monday July 27, 1914 and died in Red Deer (Alberta) on Monday March 27, 2000 at the age of 85. He is buried at Alto Reste Cemetery (Alberta).
- Red Deer is located 29 miles [46.7 km] to the south of Ponoka.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: George Trenholm Allen<4>
- Oscar Ingolfur 'Ossie' Asmundson (Professional hockey)
- August Solberg 'Gus' Marker (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born in Wetaskiwin (Alberta) on Tueday August 1, 1905 and died in Kingston (Ontario) on Tueday October 7, 1997 at the age of 92. He is buried at Cataraqui Cemetery (Frontenac County, Ontario).
- Wetaskiwin is located 21 miles [33.8 km] to the northeast of Ponoka.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: August Solberg 'Gus' Marker<4>
How Far From Ponoka to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Ponoka to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Ponoka and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 59 miles [95 km]<2> to the north (N). If you could walk a straight line from Ponoka to Edmonton, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take about three full days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,763 miles [2,837.3 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take most of three days, a buggy would take 69 days and walking would take 101 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,302 miles [10,142.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,068 miles [11,374.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,150 miles [8,288.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Ponoka: www.ponoka.org/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Ponoka) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Ponoka. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Ponoka
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Ponoka. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 52.6797, Longitude: -113.5841
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Ponoka to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.881 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.749 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.37 degrees.||