Welcome to Ponoka ...
The town of Ponoka was founded in 1905.
Ponoka is 2,700 feet [823 m] above sea level.<1> In other words, the altitude of Ponoka is about ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: Ponoka lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Telephone area codes for Ponoka: (403) and (587)<2>
The Canadian Postal Code for Ponoka: T4J<3>
Websites for Ponoka ...
Official Website: www.ponoka.org/
Communities near Ponoka ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Ponoka.
(15 miles [24.1 km] to the south)
(14 miles [22.5 km] to the southeast)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Clive came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clive
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Clive
(6 miles [9.7 km] to the south)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Morningside came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Morningside
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Morningside
(18 miles [29 km] to the southeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tees
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Tees
(12 miles [19.3 km] to the northeast)
(13 miles [20.9 km] to the south)
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Chigwell. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chigwell
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Chigwell
(13 miles [20.9 km] to the west)
- College Heights
(14 miles [22.5 km] to the southwest)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for College Heights came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for College Heights
- Jump to a Google Map centered on College Heights
- Rosedale Valley
(15 miles [24.1 km] to the southwest)
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rosedale Valley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rosedale Valley
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Rosedale Valley
(16 miles [25.7 km] to the northeast)
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Ponoka ...
Looking for more information about Ponoka? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Ponoka, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Ponoka.
Adding Ponoka to Our Gazetteer ...
The earliest source we've referenced which mentioned Ponoka was mentioned on a train schedule titled Canadian Pacific Railroad Time Tables (October 1899).
We also found Ponoka on a map titled Shell Oil Road Map for Southern Alberta (1951).
For more details, see References and Mentions for Ponoka.
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Ponoka: www.ponoka.org/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Ponoka - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<2>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (403).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Ponoka, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Ponoka). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Ponoka or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|