Below is our collection of tidbits, odds 'n ends for Pincher Creek.
This page contains two sections:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Pincher Creek ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
Beaver Mines - 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the West of Pincher Creek [Map]
Crowsnest Pass - 26 miles [41.8 km] to the West [Map]
Frank - 21 miles [33.8 km] to the West [Map]
Hill Spring - 20 miles [32.2 km] to the Southeast [Map]
Hillspring - 20 miles [32.2 km] to the Southeast [Map]
Maycroft - 26 miles [41.8 km] to the Northwest [Map]
Pincher Station - 2 miles [3.2 km] to the North [Map]
Twin Butte - 15 miles [24.1 km] to the South [Map]
How Far From Pincher Creek to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Pincher Creek to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Pincher Creek and extending to:
- Edmonton [Map], which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 281 miles [452.2 km] to the North (N). If you could drive a straight line from Pincher Creek to Edmonton, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take four to five hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 16 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 11 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON [Map]) is 1,787 miles [2,875.9 km] to the East (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 70 days and walking would take 102 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock [Map]) is 6,507 miles [10,472 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba [Map]) is 7,274 miles [11,706.4 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican [Map]) is 5,333 miles [8,582.6 km] and it lies to the Northeast (NE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Pincher Creek: www.pinchercreek.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Pincher Creek) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Pincher Creek. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Pincher Creek
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Pincher Creek. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.4879, Longitude: -113.9500 [Map].
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Pincher Creek to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.109 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.749 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.106 degrees.|