Welcome to Orion ...
Orion was established in 1916.
Time Zone: Orion lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Note: If you travel east from Orion (for example, toward Consul (SK)), you will leave Mountain Time and cross into the Central Standard Time Zone (CST). In addition, you will be moving from an area that observes daylight saving time to one that does not.
Area codes for Orion: (403) & (587)<1>
The Canadian Postal Code for Orion: T0K<2>
Adding Orion to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Orion was on a map titled Road Map for Montana & Southern Alberta (from Shell Oil, 1951).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Orion on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Orion ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 13 communities that are also named Orion - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas, California, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas (2), Minnesota, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Orion.
Communities near Orion ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Orion.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Manyberries
- Manyberries lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the southeast of Orion
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Manyberries
- Pakowki - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pakowki
- Pakowki was located 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the west of Orion
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Pakowki. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Nemiskam - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nemiskam
- Nemiskam was located 21 miles [33.8 km]<3> to the west of Orion
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Conquerville - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Conquerville
- Conquerville was located 23 miles [37 km]<3> to the northwest of Orion
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Conquerville. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Conquerville has also been known as:
- Altorado - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Altorado
- Altorado was located 27 miles [43.5 km]<3> to the west of Orion
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Altorado. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elkwater
- Elkwater lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<3> to the northeast of Orion
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Elkwater came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elkwater
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Elkwater<5>
- Seven Persons
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Seven Persons
- Seven Persons lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<3> to the north of Orion
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Seven Persons came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Seven Persons
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Onefour
- Onefour lies 31 miles [49.9 km]<3> to the southeast of Orion
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Onefour came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Onefour
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Onefour<5>
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Orion ...
Looking for more information about Orion? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Orion, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Orion.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Alberta Community
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Orion. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (403).|
|<2>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Orion, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Orion). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Orion or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Orion) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Orion. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from OrionOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Orion. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.4540, Longitude: -110.8097 |
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|