Below is our collection of tidbits, odds 'n ends for Orion.
This page contains two sections:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Orion ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
Bow Island - 37 miles [59.5 km]<1> to the Northwest of Orion [Map]
Conquerville (Historic) - 23 miles [37 km] to the Northwest [Map]
Dunmore - 36 miles [57.9 km] to the North [Map]
Elkwater - 27 miles [43.5 km] to the Northeast [Map]
Foremost - 28 miles [45.1 km] to the West [Map]
Legend (Historic) - 35 miles [56.3 km] to the West [Map]
Onefour - 31 miles [49.9 km] to the Southeast [Map]
Seven Persons - 29 miles [46.7 km] to the North [Map]
Sevenpersons - 28 miles [45.1 km] to the North [Map]
How Far From Orion to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Orion to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Orion and extending to:
- Edmonton [Map], which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 305 miles [490.8 km] to the North Northwest (NNW). If you could drive a straight line from Orion to Edmonton, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take five to six hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 18 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 12 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON [Map]) is 1,647 miles [2,650.6 km] to the East (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 65 days and walking would take 94 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock [Map]) is 6,444 miles [10,370.6 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba [Map]) is 7,213 miles [11,608.2 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican [Map]) is 5,246 miles [8,442.6 km] and it lies to the Northeast (NE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Orion. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Orion) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Orion. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Orion
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Orion. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.4540, Longitude: -110.8097 [Map].
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Orion to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 331.60 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 331.873 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.102 degrees.|