Below is our collection of tidbits, odds 'n ends for New Brigden.
This page contains two sections:
Curious and Interesting Names Near New Brigden ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
Cereal - 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the Southwest of New Brigden [Map]
Chinook - 25 miles [40.2 km] to the West [Map]
Consort - 27 miles [43.5 km] to the Northwest [Map]
Cosine (SK) - 34 miles [54.7 km] to the Northeast [Map]
Excel - 24 miles [38.6 km] to the South [Map]
Hoosier (SK) - 27 miles [43.5 km] to the East [Map]
Major (SK) - 33 miles [53.1 km] to the East [Map]
Monitor - 20 miles [32.2 km] to the Northwest [Map]
Superb (SK) - 21 miles [33.8 km] to the Northeast [Map]
How Far From New Brigden to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as New Brigden to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in New Brigden and extending to:
- Edmonton [Map], which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 182 miles [292.9 km] to the Northwest (NW). If you could drive a straight line from New Brigden to Edmonton, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 11 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 8 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON [Map]) is 1,624 miles [2,613.6 km] to the East (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 64 days and walking would take 93 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock [Map]) is 6,298 miles [10,135.6 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba [Map]) is 7,066 miles [11,371.6 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican [Map]) is 5,115 miles [8,231.8 km] and it lies to the Northeast (NE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for New Brigden. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- New Brigden) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for New Brigden. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from New Brigden
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in New Brigden. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.7107, Longitude: -110.3558 [Map].
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from New Brigden to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 331.282 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 331.716 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.42 degrees.|