Below is our collection of tidbits, odds 'n ends for Nevis.
This page contains two sections:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Nevis ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
Big Valley - 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the Southeast of Nevis [Map]
Byemoor - 36 miles [57.9 km] to the Southeast [Map]
Leo - 33 miles [53.1 km] to the Southeast [Map]
Meeting Creek - 25 miles [40.2 km] to the Northeast [Map]
Mirror - 9 miles [14.5 km] to the Northwest [Map]
New Norway - 35 miles [56.3 km] to the North [Map]
Red Deer - 35 miles [56.3 km] to the West [Map]
Red Willow - 18 miles [29 km] to the Northeast [Map]
Rosedale Valley - 33 miles [53.1 km] to the West [Map]
How Far From Nevis to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Nevis to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Nevis and extending to:
- Edmonton [Map], which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 85 miles [136.8 km] to the North Northwest (NNW). If you could drive a straight line from Nevis to Edmonton, with an average speed<2>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 5 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of three days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON [Map]) is 1,737 miles [2,795.4 km] to the East (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 68 days and walking would take 99 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock [Map]) is 6,311 miles [10,156.6 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba [Map]) is 7,078 miles [11,390.9 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican [Map]) is 5,152 miles [8,291.3 km] and it lies to the Northeast (NE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Nevis. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Nevis) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Nevis. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Nevis
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Nevis. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 52.3492, Longitude: -112.9808 [Map].
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Nevis to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.391 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.166 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.027 degrees.|