Welcome to Big Valley ...
A typical abbreviation for Big Valley: Big Vly. (or less commonly used: Big Vally. or Big Vlly.)
The village of Big Valley is 2,720 feet [829 m] above sea level.<1> In other words, the elevation of Big Valley is about ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: Big Valley lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Telephone area codes for Big Valley: (403) and (587)<2>
The Canadian Postal Code for Big Valley: T0J<3>
Websites for Big Valley ...
Official Website: www.villageofbigvalley.ca/
Communities Also Named Big Valley ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 2 communities that are also named Big Valley - they are located in California and Texas.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Big Valley.
Communities near Big Valley ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Big Valley.
- Elnora (19 miles [30.6 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elnora
- Elnora lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the west of Big Valley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Elnora came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elnora
- Lousana (19 miles [30.6 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lousana
- Lousana lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the west of Big Valley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lousana came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lousana
- Byemoor (17 miles [27.4 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Byemoor
- Byemoor lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the east of Big Valley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Byemoor came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Byemoor
- Fenn (7 miles [11.3 km] to the north)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fenn
- Fenn lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the north of Big Valley
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fenn
- Rumsey (13 miles [20.9 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rumsey
- Rumsey lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the south of Big Valley
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rumsey came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rumsey
- Sabine (13 miles [20.9 km] to the northeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sabine
- Sabine lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the northeast of Big Valley
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sabine
- Leo (16 miles [25.7 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Leo
- Leo lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the east of Big Valley
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Leo. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Leo
- Oberlin (18 miles [29 km] to the north)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oberlin
- Oberlin lies 18 miles [29 km]<4> to the north of Big Valley
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oberlin
- Rowley (18 miles [29 km] to the south)
- Erskine (20 miles [32.2 km] to the north)
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Big Valley ...
Looking for more information about Big Valley? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Big Valley, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Big Valley.
Adding Big Valley to Our Gazetteer ...
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Big Valley was on a map titled Road Map for Montana & Southern Alberta (from Shell Oil, 1951).
We also found Big Valley on a map titled Shell Oil Map of Alberta (1956).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Big Valley on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Big Valley
Search for a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Big Valley: www.villageofbigvalley.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Big Valley - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<2>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (403).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Big Valley). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Big Valley or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Big Valley) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Big Valley. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Big ValleyOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Big Valley. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 52.0333, Longitude: -112.7500 |
|<5>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|