Welcome to Foothills ...
Although we found mention of Foothills during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Foothills was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Foothills to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Foothills, please Contact Us.
Foothills is 4,550 feet [1,387 m] above sea level.<2> In other words, the elevation of Foothills is about ¾ mile [or ~1½ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Foothills might be (or was) located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
We believe that Foothills would be found within the (780) & (587)<3> area codes.
The Canadian Postal Codes for Foothills: T0L, T1S, T1V<4>
Communities Also Named Foothills ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found another community named Foothills - it's located in Utah.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Foothills.
Communities near Foothills ...
We have created a list of 9 communities that are near Foothills.
- Robb (14 miles [22.5 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Robb
- Robb lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<5> to the northwest of Foothills
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Robb
- Coalspur (12 miles [19.3 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Coalspur
- Coalspur lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the northwest of Foothills
- Coalspur has also been known as:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Coalspur
- Mercoal (14 miles [22.5 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mercoal
- Mercoal lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<5> to the northwest of Foothills
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mercoal
- Cadomin (22 miles [35.4 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cadomin
- Cadomin lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<5> to the west of Foothills
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cadomin
- Mountain Park (22 miles [35.4 km] to the southwest) - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mountain Park
- Mountain Park was located 22 miles [35.4 km]<5> to the southwest of Foothills
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Mountain Park. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Luscar (25 miles [40.2 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Luscar
- Luscar lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<5> to the west of Foothills
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Luscar
- Marlboro (33 miles [53.1 km] to the north)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marlboro
- Marlboro lies 33 miles [53.1 km]<5> to the north of Foothills
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Marlboro came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<7>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Marlboro
- Edson (38 miles [61.2 km] to the north)
- Hinton (40 miles [64.4 km] to the northwest)
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Foothills ...
Looking for more information about Foothills? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Foothills, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Foothills.
Adding Foothills to Our Gazetteer ...
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Foothills was on a map titled Road Map for Montana & Southern Alberta (from Shell Oil, 1951).
We also found Foothills on a map titled Shell Oil Map of Alberta (1956).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Foothills on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Foothills
Find a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Foothills and then turned west". While Foothills could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Foothills as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Foothills could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Foothills - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (780).|
|<4>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Foothills, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Foothills). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Foothills or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Foothills) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Foothills. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.0667, Longitude: -116.7833 |
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<7>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<8>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|