Curious and Interesting Names Near East Coulee ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Aerial. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Aerial
- Aerial lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the northwest of East Coulee
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Aerial
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Chancellor came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chancellor
- Chancellor lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<2> to the southwest of East Coulee
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chancellor
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dorothy
- Dorothy lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the southeast of East Coulee
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dorothy
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rosebud came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rosebud
- Rosebud lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<2> to the west of East Coulee
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rosebud
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Rosebud<4>
- Rosedale Station
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rosedale Station came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rosedale Station
- Rosedale Station lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the northwest of East Coulee
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rosedale Station
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Standard
- Standard lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the southwest of East Coulee
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Standard
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding East Coulee. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Glen Gorbous (Major League Baseball)
- Major League Baseball. He was born in Drumheller (Alberta) on Tueday July 8, 1930 and died in Calgary (Alberta) on Tueday June 12, 1990 at the age of 59.
- Drumheller is located 12 miles [19.3 km] to the northwest of East Coulee.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Glen Gorbous<5>
How Far From East Coulee to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as East Coulee to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in East Coulee and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 158 miles [254.3 km]<2> to the north northwest (NNW). If you could drive a straight line from East Coulee to Edmonton, with an average speed<6>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 9 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,716 miles [2,761.6 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 67 days and walking would take 98 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,364 miles [10,241.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,131 miles [11,476.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,193 miles [8,357.3 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for East Coulee. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- East Coulee) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for East Coulee. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from East Coulee
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in East Coulee. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.3390, Longitude: -112.4954
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from East Coulee to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.987 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 333.621 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.88 degrees.||