Communities Also Named Derwent ...
We have found two communities that share the name Derwent.
Within Alberta, the name Derwent is unique.
Beyond Alberta, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in Canada and the United States. Of these two communities, one is located in Canada and the other in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Guernsey County
- This Derwent is located in Guernsey County and lies 1,664 miles [2,677.9 km]<1> to the east southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Derwent
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Guernsey County community of Derwent.
- This Derwent lies 1,543 miles [2,483.2 km]<1> to the east southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Derwent
Curious and Interesting Names Near Derwent ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Elk Point
- Frog Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Frog Lake
- Frog Lake lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the northeast of Derwent
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Frog Lake came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Frog Lake
- Horseshoe Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Horseshoe Bay
- Horseshoe Bay lies 35 miles [56.3 km]<1> to the northwest of Derwent
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Horseshoe Bay came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Horseshoe Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Riverview
- Riverview lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the northeast of Derwent
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Riverview
- Two Hills
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Two Hills
- Two Hills lies 32 miles [51.5 km]<1> to the west of Derwent
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Two Hills
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Derwent. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- William Ernest 'Ernie' Kenny (Professional hockey)
How Far From Derwent to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a village such as Derwent to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Derwent and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 104 miles [167.4 km]<1> to the west (W). If you could drive a straight line from Derwent to Edmonton, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 6 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 4 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,658 miles [2,668.3 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 65 days and walking would take 95 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,192 miles [9,965.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,960 miles [11,201 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,029 miles [8,093.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Derwent. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Derwent) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Derwent. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Derwent
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Derwent. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.6552, Longitude: -110.9650
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Derwent to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 331.777 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 332.453 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 319.446 degrees.||