A visit to the Woodlawn Cemetery ...
We have organized the cemeteries in our Gazetteer based on a problem that we had while working on our own genealogy. Without specifying the cemeteries involved, we found an ancestor that we believed to have been buried in one cemetery was actually buried elsewhere. We discovered that his burial had been refused at the last moment and the family had scrambled to make new arrangements. By looking at nearby cemeteries, the surrounding communities and in newspapers of the period, we were finally able to locate his burial site. Should you find yourself in the same situation, we hope that our Gazetteer helps you discover your lost ancestor.
The Location of the Woodlawn Cemetery ...
Jump to Google Maps centered on the Woodlawn Cemetery
We are using the following GPS coordinates (latitude and longitude) for the Woodlawn Cemetery
Lat: 53.3948° (53° 23' 41")
Lon: -117.5770° (-117° 34' 37")
Location using the Alberta Township System:
' . NW-11-051-25-W5 . ' (' . Quarter-Section-Township-Range-Meridian . ')
Or the Northwest Quarter of Section 11, Township 051, Range 25, West of the 5th Meridian
Websites to help with your research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we like to start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their websites are open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that might help with the Woodlawn Cemetery:
- Pages specific to Alberta:
- Cemetery Information and Directories:
- About the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church ...
- Although we don't have a link to the Woodlawn Cemetery
itself, you might be curious about the African Methodist Episcopal Church. See their website at:
- The African Methodist Episcopal Church
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Disaster Stories from Alberta
List of neighboring communities ...
The following 9 communities are within 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> of the Woodlawn Cemetery.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cadomin
- Cadomin lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the southeast of Woodlawn Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cadomin
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Coalspur
- Coalspur lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the southeast of Woodlawn Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Coalspur
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Luscar
- Luscar lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the south of Woodlawn Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Luscar
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mercoal
- Mercoal lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the southeast of Woodlawn Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mercoal
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pocahontas came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pocahontas
- Pocahontas lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the southwest of Woodlawn Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pocahontas
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Robb
- Robb lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the southeast of Woodlawn Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Robb
- Swan Landing
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Swan Landing
- Swan Landing lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the southwest of Woodlawn Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Swan Landing
For the full list of neighboring communities with details, please visit our extended List of Communities.
List of the closest cemeteries ...
We know of 3 cemeteries that are within 40 miles [64.4 km] of the Woodlawn Cemetery. The cemeteries are listed in alphabetical order.
- Brule Cemetery
- The Brule Cemetery is located outside and to the south of Brule.
- To be precise, Brule Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the southwest of Woodlawn Cemetery.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Brule Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brule Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2618345<4>
- Jasper Municipality Cemetery
- Mountain Park Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Mountain Park Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- Mountain Park Cemetery lies 34 miles [54.7 km]<1> to the south of Woodlawn Cemetery.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mountain Park Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mountain Park Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2403502<4>
For an expanded list with details, please visit our List of cemeteries.
Miscellaneous References and Mentions ...
Our approach is to add the name of a cemetery whenever we see it mentioned - usually in newspapers, old books or maps. Typically we have little information to start with, but we try to add detail as we continue our research. We've created the following list to keep track of the sources we found useful in our research about the Woodlawn Cemetery.
- Referenced Books / Documents ...
- Alberta Sources - Cemeteries and other surname sources (Feb. 2007)
- Written by: Alberta Genealogical Society and other researchers, societies and groups
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- ) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point at the Woodlawn Cemetery. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.3948, Longitude: -117.5770
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|