Curious and Interesting Names Near Benchlands ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Anthracite (30 miles [48.3 km] to the west) - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Anthracite
- Anthracite was located 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the west of Benchlands
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Anthracite. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Dead Man's Flats (26 miles [41.8 km] to the southwest)
- Dogpound (21 miles [33.8 km] to the northeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dogpound
- Dogpound lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the northeast of Benchlands
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dogpound
- Georgetown (28 miles [45.1 km] to the southwest) - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Georgetown
- Georgetown was located 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the southwest of Benchlands
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Georgetown. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Ghost Lake (5 miles [8 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ghost Lake
- Ghost Lake lies 5 miles [8 km]<1> to the south of Benchlands
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ghost Lake
- Heritage Woods (29 miles [46.7 km] to the southeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Heritage Woods
- Heritage Woods lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the southeast of Benchlands
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Heritage Woods
- Jumping Pound (18 miles [29 km] to the southeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jumping Pound
- Jumping Pound lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the southeast of Benchlands
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jumping Pound
- Valley Ridge (27 miles [43.5 km] to the southeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Valley Ridge
- Valley Ridge lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the southeast of Benchlands
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Valley Ridge
- Water Valley (15 miles [24.1 km] to the northeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Water Valley
- Water Valley lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the northeast of Benchlands
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Water Valley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Water Valley
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Water Valley<3>
How Far From Benchlands to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Benchlands to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Benchlands and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 165 miles [265.5 km]<1> to the north northeast (NNE). If you could drive a straight line from Benchlands to Edmonton, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 10 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,816 miles [2,922.6 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 71 days and walking would take 104 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,411 miles [10,317.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,177 miles [11,550.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,258 miles [8,461.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Find a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Benchlands. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Benchlands) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Benchlands. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from BenchlandsOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Benchlands. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.2856, Longitude: -114.8037 |
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Benchlands to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.845 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 335.733 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.402 degrees.||