Welcome to Altario ...
Altario was founded in 1919.
The origin (or the toponymy) of Altario: The name Altario is a portmanteau<1> of Alberta and Ontario.
Time Zone: Altario lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Note: If you travel east from Altario (for example, toward Major (SK)), you will soon leave Mountain Time and cross into the Central Standard Time Zone (CST). In addition, you will be moving from an area that observes daylight saving time to one that does not.
Telephone area codes for Altario: (403) & (587)<2>
The Canadian Postal Code for Altario: T0C<3>
Communities near Altario ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Altario.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Loverna
- Loverna lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the south of Altario
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Loverna
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kirriemuir
- Kirriemuir lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the west of Altario
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kirriemuir
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Compeer
- Compeer lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the southeast of Altario
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Compeer
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bodo
- Bodo lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the north of Altario
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bodo
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Esther came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Esther
- Esther lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the south of Altario
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Esther
- New Brigden
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for New Brigden came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for New Brigden
- New Brigden lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the southwest of Altario
- Jump to Google Maps centered on New Brigden
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Monitor
- Monitor lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the west of Altario
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Monitor
- Cactus Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cactus Lake
- Cactus Lake lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<4> to the northeast of Altario
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cactus Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Major
- Major lies 23 miles [37 km]<4> to the east of Altario
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Major
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Grosswerder. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grosswerder
- Grosswerder lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<4> to the northeast of Altario
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grosswerder
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Altario ...
Looking for more information about Altario? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Altario, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Altario.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Altario. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||A portmanteau (such as Altario) is the combination or contraction of two (or more) words, their sound and the meaning of those words to create a new word. For example, guess and estimate becomes guesstimate.|
|<2>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (403).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Altario, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Altario). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Altario or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Altario) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Altario. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Altario
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Altario. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.9182, Longitude: -110.1626
|<5>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|