- About Munford
- Munford is located in Talladega County (Alabama).
According to the 2010 US Census, Munford has a population of 1,292 people, making it Talladega's 5th and Alabama's 227th most populous community.
Our Pages for Munford ...
|-profile || General information about Munford |
|-nearby || What's in the neighborhood around Munford |
|-bycounty || Nearest communities to Munford (By-County) |
|-census || Census information for Munford |
|-tidbits || Tidbits and trivia about Munford |
|-genealogy || Our Genealogy Helper for Munford |
|-cemeteries || Cemeteries in the area of Munford |
|-localpapers || Newspapers published in the immediate area of Munford |
|-newspapers || Newspapers published in a broader area around Munford |
|-summary || Summarized information |
|-map || Interactive map centered on Munford |
|-tripmap || TripAdvisor Tourism pages |
|-misc || Miscellaneous information |
|-wishlist || Things we would like to know about Munford |
|-glossary || This page... |
Glossary and Definitions ...
- Area Code Overlay
- An Overlay refers to the situation in which two (or more) area codes (eg- 256, 938) serve the same geographic area. In the case of Munford, area code (938) is the Overlay for area code (256).
The Overlay is necessary when the geographic area requires (or expects to need) more phone numbers than can be provided by a single area code.
When an Overlay is present, 10-digit dialing becomes necessary even for local calls. There are different types of Overlays, with each of the different Overlays having its own characteristics and dialing requirements.
If you would like to learn more about Overlays, we suggest the Wikipedia entry for Overlays.
- Census Area for Munford
- The Area value provided by the US Census Bureau reflects their statistical (or sampling) requirements and it can be different than the geographic boundaries of Munford. For example, if there is a cluster of people living just outside of the town's official boundary, the Census-defined area might be expanded to include that group.
At the time of the 2010 Census, the US Census gave a land area of 2.21 square miles [5.7 km²] and a water area of 0 square miles [0 km²], giving Munford a total area of 2.21 square miles [5.7 km²].
It should be noted that the area given by the Census Bureau can change from one Census to the next.
- Census Housing Unit
- The US Census considers a Housing Unit to be a place where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter.
Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Munford had 554 Housing Units.
- Decennial Census
- The US Constitution requires that a count of the country's population be conducted every 10 years. The Census is conducted on those years ending in '0' (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010). This is known as a 'Decennial' Census. The process of taking a Census is called an 'Enumeration'.
The count includes citizens, non-citizen legal residents, long-term non-citizen visitors and illegal immigrants.
The purpose of the Census is to provide information about the demographic and social characteristics of the people of the United States. The results of the Census goes to the federal, state and local governments to support their planning and administrative activities.
The first Census was conducted in 1790. The most recent Census was conducted in 2010. The next Decennial Census will be conducted in 2020.
By comparison, the Canadian Census is conducted once every 5 years and is called a 'Quinquennial' Census.
- FIPS Codes
- In the past, the federal government created a set of codes that are used to uniquely identify States, Counties and Populated Places (such as a town like Munford). These codes form the Federal Information Processing Standard. (specifically FIPS Document 55-3).
The State Code consists of two digits, the County Code consists of three digits and the Place Code consists of five digits. The County and Place Codes must be used together with the State Code to be truly unique.
For example, the following codes apply to the town of Munford:
- State Code: 01 (Alabama)
- State / County Code: 01 / 121 (Talladega County)
- State / Place Code: 01 / 52848
The FIPS Codes have been replaced by an ANSI standard and the GNIS Feature ID. Although obsolete, the FIPS Codes are still in use by some organizations.
For more information about the FIPS Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Munford.
- GNIS Codes
- The function of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) is to establish uniform names for geographic features (eg- communities, mountains, lakes, rivers, streams, etc). The BGN was created to address the problems caused by spelling and naming variations. BGN–accepted names are kept in a database called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS), which is operated and maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).
A unique and permanent identifier has been assigned for each feature in the GNIS database. These names and identifiers are definitive.
Munford has been given the GNIS Feature ID of '2424936'. Click here to see the GNIS Record for Munford.