A visit to the Giles Cemetery ...
Since our focus is on geography, we don't have burial or interment information. Nor do we have any contact information for the Giles Cemetery. For information of that nature, we suggest the Find-A-Grave<1> website: The Giles Cemetery (FAG ID #109375)
We have organized the cemeteries in our Gazetteer based on a problem that we had while working on our own genealogy. Without specifying the cemeteries involved, we found an ancestor that we believed to have been buried in one cemetery was actually buried elsewhere. We discovered that his burial had been refused at the last moment and the family had scrambled to make new arrangements. By looking at nearby cemeteries, the surrounding communities and in newspapers of the period, we were finally able to locate his burial site. Should you find yourself in the same situation, we hope that our Gazetteer helps you discover your lost ancestor.
The Location of the Giles Cemetery ...
Jump to Google Maps centered on the Giles Cemetery
The Giles Cemetery is located in Wayne County<2>.
The county seat for Wayne County is located in Loa. Loa lies 43 miles [69.2 km]<3> to the west of the Giles Cemetery .
We are using the following GPS coordinates (latitude and longitude) for the Giles Cemetery
Lat: 38.3532° (38° 21' 11")
Lon: -110.8394° (-110° 50' 21")
Establishment of the Giles Cemetery ...
The Giles Cemetery was established in 1898.
Name Variations for Giles Cemetery ...
When doing your research, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Various errors happen - anything from simple spelling to bad translations.
Giles Cemetery has also been known as:
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to help with your research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first visit the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their websites are open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that might help with the Giles Cemetery:
- Pages specific to Utah:
- Pages specific to Wayne County:
- Cemetery Information and Directories:
- About the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church ...
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Disaster Stories from Utah
List of neighboring communities ...
The following 9 communities are within 30 miles [48.3 km]<3> of the Giles Cemetery.
- Aldridge [Wayne County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Aldridge
- Aldridge [Wayne County] was located 14 miles [22.5 km]<3> to the west of Giles Cemetery
- Caineville [Wayne County]
- Eagle City [Garfield County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Eagle City
- Eagle City [Garfield County] was located 20 miles [32.2 km]<3> to the south of Giles Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Eagle City. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
- Fruita [Wayne County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fruita
- Fruita [Wayne County] was located 22 miles [35.4 km]<3> to the west of Giles Cemetery
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fruita have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Giles [Wayne County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Giles
- Giles [Wayne County] was located less than 2 miles<3> to the northwest of Giles Cemetery
- Grover [Wayne County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grover
- Grover [Wayne County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<3> to the west of Giles Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grover
- Hanksville [Wayne County]
- Notom [Wayne County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Notom
- Notom [Wayne County] was located 17 miles [27.4 km]<3> to the southwest of Giles Cemetery
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Notom have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Temple Mountain [Emery County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Temple Mountain
- Temple Mountain [Emery County] was located 23 miles [37 km]<3> to the north of Giles Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Temple Mountain. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<5>
For the full list of neighboring communities with details, please visit our extended List of Communities.
List of the closest cemeteries ...
We know of 4 cemeteries that are within 20 miles [32.2 km] of the Giles Cemetery. The cemeteries are listed in alphabetical order.
All of the following cemeteries are located in Wayne County.
- Caineville Cemetery [Wayne County]
- Esther Fenn Gravesite [Wayne County]
- Hanksville Cemetery [Wayne County]
- Notom Cemetery [Wayne County]
For an expanded list with details, please visit our List of cemeteries.
Miscellaneous References and Mentions ...
Our approach is to add the name of a cemetery whenever we see it mentioned - usually from newspapers, old books and maps. Typically we have little information to start with, but we try to add detail as we find it.
We've created the following list to keep track of the sources that we found useful for the Giles Cemetery:
- Referenced Find-A-Grave Entry: #109375
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Utah
About Wayne County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Wayne, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- ) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point at the Giles Cemetery. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 38.3532, Longitude: -110.8394 |
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|