Communities Also Named Big Muddy ...
We have found one communities that share the name Big Muddy.
Within Saskatchewan, the name Big Muddy is unique.
Beyond Saskatchewan, there is another community also named Big Muddy in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Converse County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Wyoming community of Big Muddy [Converse County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Big Muddy ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Archer [Sheridan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Archer
- Archer [Sheridan County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the south of Big Muddy
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Archer have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Archer
- Big Beaver
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Big Beaver
- Big Beaver lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the west of Big Muddy
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Big Beaver
- Flaxville [Daniels County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Flaxville
- Flaxville [Daniels County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the southwest of Big Muddy
- Population from the 2020 Census: 65 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Flaxville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Flaxville<4>
- Navajo [Daniels County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Navajo
- Navajo [Daniels County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the southwest of Big Muddy
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Navajo have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Navajo
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Outlook [Sheridan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Outlook
- Outlook [Sheridan County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the southeast of Big Muddy
- Population from the 2020 Census: 46 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Outlook
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Outlook<4>
- Raymond [Sheridan County]
- Redstone [Sheridan County]
- Surprise Valley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Surprise Valley
- Surprise Valley lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the northeast of Big Muddy
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Surprise Valley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Surprise Valley
How Far From Big Muddy to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Big Muddy to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<6> community of Big Muddy once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Big Muddy and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Regina, which is the Provincial Capital of Saskatchewan, lies 98 miles [157.7 km]<2> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Big Muddy to Regina, with an average speed<7>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 6 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take three full days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,381 miles [2,222.5 km] to the east (E). Driving would take about three full days, a buggy would take 54 days and walking would take 79 days.
- The shortest distance<8> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,333 miles [10,192 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,101 miles [11,428 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<10>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,090 miles [8,191.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<11>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Saskatchewan
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Saskatchewan: www.saskatchewan.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Big Muddy could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Big Muddy) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Big Muddy. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Big MuddyOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Big Muddy. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.0325, Longitude: -104.8772 |
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<6>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Big Muddy, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<7>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<8>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Big Muddy to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 326.948 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 326.516 degrees.|
|<11>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 316.465 degrees.||