Curious and Interesting Names Near Alticane ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Big Shell
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Big Shell
- Big Shell lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the northeast of Alticane
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Big Shell
- Echo Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Echo Bay
- Echo Bay lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the northeast of Alticane
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Echo Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fielding
- Fielding lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the south of Alticane
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fielding
- Lucky Man
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lucky Man
- Lucky Man lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the northeast of Alticane
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lucky Man came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lucky Man
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Oscar Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oscar Lake
- Oscar Lake lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the east of Alticane
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oscar Lake
- Pelican Cove
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pelican Cove
- Pelican Cove lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the northeast of Alticane
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pelican Cove
- Rabbit Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rabbit Lake
- Rabbit Lake lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the northwest of Alticane
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rabbit Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Richard
- Richard lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the southwest of Alticane
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Richard came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Richard
- Spruce Bay
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Spruce Bay
- Spruce Bay lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the northwest of Alticane
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Spruce Bay came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Spruce Bay
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Alticane. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Ron 'Atch' Atchison (Professional football)
- Professional football. He was born in Mullingar (Saskatchewan) on Monday April 21, 1930 and died in Regina (Saskatchewan) on Wednesday June 23, 2010 at the age of 80. He is buried at Regina Memorial Gardens (Saskatchewan).
- Mullingar is located 14 miles [22.5 km] to the northwest of Alticane.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Ron 'Atch' Atchison<3>
How Far From Alticane to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Alticane to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Alticane and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Regina, which is the Provincial Capital of Saskatchewan, lies 209 miles [336.4 km]<1> to the southeast (SE). If you could drive a straight line from Alticane to Regina, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 12 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 9 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,510 miles [2,430.1 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 59 days and walking would take 86 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,166 miles [9,923.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,935 miles [11,160.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,972 miles [8,001.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Saskatchewan
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Alticane. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Saskatchewan: www.saskatchewan.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Alticane) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Alticane. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AlticaneOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Alticane. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 52.9034, Longitude: -107.4796 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Alticane to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 329.002 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 329.249 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 317.303 degrees.||