Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Cochecton, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Cochecton and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Cochecton:
- 41.678700, -74.994055
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Cochecton
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Cochecton ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Damascus [Wayne County]
- Falls Mills [Sullivan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Falls Mills
- Falls Mills [Sullivan County] lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<1> to the north of Cochecton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Falls Mills
- Fallsdale [Wayne County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fallsdale
- Fallsdale [Wayne County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the west of Cochecton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fallsdale have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fallsdale
- Hunts Corners [Sullivan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hunts Corners
- Hunts Corners [Sullivan County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<1> to the southwest of Cochecton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hunts Corners have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hunts Corners
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Lava [Sullivan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lava
- Lava [Sullivan County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the south of Cochecton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lava have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lava
- Masthope [Pike County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Masthope
- Masthope [Pike County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the south of Cochecton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Masthope
- Narrowsburg [Sullivan County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Narrowsburg
- Narrowsburg [Sullivan County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<1> to the southwest of Cochecton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Narrowsburg have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Narrowsburg
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Narrowsburg<2>
- Smallwood [Sullivan County]
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Cochecton. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Thomas Everett 'Tom' Burns (Major League Baseball> *~~mlb:<1880/05/01:1892/07/22)
- William Chauvenet (Mathematician, professor)
- Herbert 'Herb' Kalin (Musician, singer)
- Milton Kamen (Actor, comic)
- Joseph Bohomiel 'Joe' Lapchick (Professional basketball)
- Pat O'Malley (Actor)
How Far From Cochecton to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Cochecton to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Cochecton and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Monticello, which is the Seat of Sullivan County and lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the east. If you could walk a straight line from Cochecton to Monticello, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take five to six hours.
- Albany, which is the State Capital of New York, lies 92 miles [148.1 km] to the northeast (NE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than two hours, a buggy would take most of three days and walking would take 6 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 220 miles [354.1 km] to the south southwest (SSW). Driving would take nearly four hours, a buggy would take 9 days and walking would take 13 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,696 miles [9,166.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,408 miles [10,312.7 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,283 miles [6,892.8 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of New York
About Sullivan County
About New York
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Cochecton. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Sullivan County: www.co.sullivan.ny.us/
The official website for State of New York: https://www.ny.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Cochecton) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Cochecton. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from CochectonOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Cochecton. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 41.6787, Longitude: -74.9941 In this case, the coordinates for Cochecton have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Cochecton to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 306.433 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 302.227 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 302.669 degrees.||