Welcome to Manhattan ...
The city of Manhattan is primarily located in Riley County<1> and is the County Seat for Riley County. A portion of Manhattan extends into Pottawatomie County.
When the people of Manhattan refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Manhattanite<2>
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Manhattan has a population of 54,571 people<3> (see below for details).
Manhattan was established in 1855.
The origin (or the toponymy) of Manhattan: Named after Manhattan, New York (NY).
The community of Manhattan is 1,120 feet [341 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: Manhattan lies in the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT) and observes daylight saving time
The telephone area code for Manhattan: (785)
The ZIP codes for Manhattan: 66502-66503, 66505-66506<5>
Websites for Manhattan ...
Official Website: www.ci.manhattan.ks.us/
Chamber of Commerce: www.manhattan.org/
Junior League: www.jlfh.org/
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Manhattan had an population of 54,571 people. This is an increase of 4.38% since the 2010 Census (or an increase of 21.73% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Manhattan had a population of 52,281 people (or 73.52% of the total population of Riley County). This makes Manhattan the county's most populous community.
The population of Manhattan represents 1.83% of the total population of Kansas (which has 2,853,118 people), making it the state's 8th most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 52,281 people, the population of Manhattan increased 16.62% from the 2000 Census (with a count of 44,831 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Manhattan.
Communities Also Named Manhattan ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 18 communities that are also named Manhattan - they are located in Colorado, Florida (2), Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New York, Ohio (4), Pennsylvania, Texas and Utah.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Manhattan.
Communities near Manhattan ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Manhattan.
- Junction City
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wamego
- Wamego lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<6> to the east of Manhattan.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 4,718 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Wamego have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wamego
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Wamego<7>
- Grandview Plaza
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grandview Plaza
- Grandview Plaza lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<6> to the southwest of Manhattan.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,553 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Grandview Plaza have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grandview Plaza
- Saint George
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Saint George
- Saint George lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<6> to the east of Manhattan.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,017 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Saint George have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Saint George
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Saint George<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Riley
- Riley lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<6> to the northwest of Manhattan.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 955 people
- Former names for Riley:
- Riley Center
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Riley
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Riley<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Milford
- Milford lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<6> to the west of Manhattan.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 518 people
- Former name for Milford:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Milford
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Milford<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Leonardville
- Leonardville lies 18 miles [29 km]<6> to the northwest of Manhattan.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 432 people
- Former name for Leonardville:
- Leonardville has also been known as:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Leonardville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Leonardville<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Louisville
- Louisville lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<6> to the east of Manhattan.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 228 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Louisville have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Former name for Louisville:
- Rock Creek
- Louisville has also been known as:
- Louisville Springs
- Rock City
- Rock Creek Falls
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Louisville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Louisville<7>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Manhattan. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Manhattan.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Manhattan. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Manhattan.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Manhattan. Our list includes 39 papers. See our Newspapers Page for Manhattan.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Manhattan ...
Looking for more information about Manhattan? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Manhattan, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Manhattan.
Adding Manhattan to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Manhattan in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
The earliest source that we've referenced which mentioned Manhattan was the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Manhattan on a map titled Rand McNally Map of Kansas (1911).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Manhattan.
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Manhattan: www.ci.manhattan.ks.us/
The official website for Riley County: www.rileycountyks.gov
The official website for State of Kansas: https://portal.kansas.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Kansas' counties, including Riley, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Manhattan refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a city's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Manhattan may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Manhattan.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Manhattan - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a city (such as Manhattan). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Manhattan or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
Our list of ZIP Codes for Manhattan includes: 66502, 66505 & 66506.
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Manhattan) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Manhattan. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from ManhattanOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Manhattan. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.1930, Longitude: -96.5855 |
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|