Welcome to Seneca ...
So far, we have found very little information about Seneca. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Seneca to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Seneca, please Contact Us.
Seneca would have been located within present day Plumas County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Seneca, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Seneca is 3,620 feet [1,103 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the altitude of Seneca is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Seneca was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
If Seneca still existed, it would have been in the (530) area code.
Communities Also Named Seneca ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 26 communities that are also named Seneca - they are located in Arizona, Florida (2), Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan (2), Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, Ohio (2), Ontario, Oregon (2), Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Seneca.
Communities near Seneca ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Seneca.
- Almanor [Plumas County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Almanor
- Almanor [Plumas County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the north of Seneca
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Almanor have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Almanor
- Canyondam [Plumas County]
- Caribou [Plumas County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Caribou
- Caribou [Plumas County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the southwest of Seneca
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Caribou
- Paxton [Plumas County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Paxton
- Paxton [Plumas County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the southeast of Seneca
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Paxton have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Paxton
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Twain [Plumas County]
- Greenville [Plumas County]
- Indian Falls [Plumas County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Indian Falls
- Indian Falls [Plumas County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the southeast of Seneca
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Indian Falls have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Indian Falls
- Prattville [Plumas County]
- East Shore [Plumas County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for East Shore
- East Shore [Plumas County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the north of Seneca
- Jump to Google Maps centered on East Shore
- Longville [Plumas County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Longville
- Longville [Plumas County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the west of Seneca
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Longville
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Seneca. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Seneca.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Seneca. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Seneca.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Seneca. See our Newspapers Page for Seneca.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Mentions & References for Seneca
Search for a California Community
About Plumas County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Plumas County: www.countyofplumas.com/
The official website for State of California: https://www.ca.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Seneca, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of California's counties, including Plumas, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Seneca - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Seneca) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Seneca. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from SenecaOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Seneca. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 40.1115, Longitude: -121.0840 In this case, the coordinates for Seneca have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|