Welcome to Evelyn ...
So far, we have found very little information about Evelyn. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Evelyn to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Evelyn, please Contact Us.
Evelyn would have been located within present day Inyo County<2>.
The location of Evelyn has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
Evelyn was established in 1907.
While the community is gone, the present day location for Evelyn is 1,870 feet [570 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: The area where Evelyn was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
The location where Evelyn once stood is in the (760) & (442)<5> area codes.
Communities Also Named Evelyn ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 11 communities that are also named Evelyn - they are located in British Columbia, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Ontario, South Dakota, Texas and West Virginia (2).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Evelyn.
Communities near Evelyn ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Evelyn.
- Shoshone [Inyo County]
- Death Valley Junction [Inyo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Death Valley Junction
- Death Valley Junction [Inyo County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<6> to the northwest of Evelyn
- Former names for Death Valley Junction:
- Death Valley
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Death Valley Junction
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Death Valley Junction<7>
- Lila C [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lila C
- Lila C [Inyo County] was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<6> to the northwest of Evelyn
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lila C have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Greenwater [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greenwater
- Greenwater [Inyo County] was located 16 miles [25.7 km]<6> to the west of Evelyn
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Greenwater have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Pahrump [Nye County]
- Tecopa Hot Springs [Inyo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tecopa Hot Springs
- Tecopa Hot Springs [Inyo County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<6> to the south of Evelyn
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tecopa Hot Springs
- Tecopa [Inyo County]
- Ryan [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ryan
- Ryan [Inyo County] was located 23 miles [37 km]<6> to the northwest of Evelyn
- Scranton [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Scranton
- Scranton [Inyo County] was located 23 miles [37 km]<6> to the northwest of Evelyn
- Johnnie [Nye County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Johnnie
- Johnnie [Nye County] lies 23 miles [37 km]<6> to the northeast of Evelyn
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Johnnie
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Evelyn. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Evelyn.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Evelyn. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Evelyn.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Evelyn. See our Newspapers Page for Evelyn.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Mentions & References for Evelyn
Communities in California
About Inyo County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Inyo County: www.inyocounty.us/
The official website for State of California: https://www.ca.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Evelyn, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of California's counties, including Inyo, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Evelyn - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Area code (442) is an overlay for area code (760).|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Evelyn) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Evelyn. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from EvelynOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Evelyn. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 36.1466, Longitude: -116.3161 In this case, the coordinates for Evelyn have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|