Welcome to Shoshone ...
Shoshone is located in Inyo County<1>.
When the people of Shoshone refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Shoshonean<2>
Shoshone is 1,580 feet [482 m] above sea level.<3>.
Time Zone: Shoshone lies in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
Telephone area codes for Shoshone: (760) and (442)<4>
The ZIP code for Shoshone: 92384<5>
Communities Also Named Shoshone ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 4 communities that are also named Shoshone - they are located in Colorado, Idaho and Nevada (2).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Shoshone.
Communities near Shoshone ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Shoshone.
- Tecopa Hot Springs [Inyo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tecopa Hot Springs
- Tecopa Hot Springs [Inyo County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<6> to the south of Shoshone
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tecopa Hot Springs
- Tecopa [Inyo County]
- Evelyn [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Evelyn
- Evelyn [Inyo County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<6> to the north of Shoshone
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Evelyn have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Ibex Springs [San Bernardino County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ibex Springs
- Ibex Springs [San Bernardino County] was located 16 miles [25.7 km]<6> to the southwest of Shoshone
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Charleston View [Inyo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Charleston View
- Charleston View [Inyo County] lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<6> to the east of Shoshone
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Charleston View
- Calvada Springs [Inyo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Calvada Springs
- Calvada Springs [Inyo County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<6> to the east of Shoshone
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Calvada Springs
- Lila C [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lila C
- Lila C [Inyo County] was located 22 miles [35.4 km]<6> to the northwest of Shoshone
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lila C have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Pahrump [Nye County]
- Ashford Mill [Inyo County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ashford Mill
- Ashford Mill [Inyo County] was located 23 miles [37 km]<6> to the west of Shoshone
- Death Valley Junction [Inyo County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Shoshone. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Shoshone.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Shoshone. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Shoshone.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Shoshone. See our Newspapers Page for Shoshone.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Shoshone ...
Looking for more information about Shoshone? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Shoshone, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Shoshone.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Mentions & References for Shoshone
Cities, Towns and Villages of California
About Inyo County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Shoshone. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Inyo County: www.inyocounty.us/
The official website for State of California: https://www.ca.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of California's counties, including Inyo, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Shoshone refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Shoshone may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Shoshone - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Area code (442) is an overlay for area code (760).|
|<5>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Shoshone). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Shoshone or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Shoshone) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Shoshone. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from ShoshoneOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Shoshone. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 35.9790, Longitude: -116.2720 |
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|