Welcome to Hector ...
Although we found mention of Hector during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Hector was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Hector to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Hector, please Contact Us.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Hector might be (or was) located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Note: If you travel west from Hector, you will leave Mountain Time and cross into the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT).
We believe that Hector would be found within the (250) & (778)<2> area codes.
Communities Also Named Hector ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 11 communities that are also named Hector - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas, California, Indiana, Kansas (2), Kentucky, Minnesota, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Hector.
Communities near Hector ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Hector.
- Lake Louise (6 miles [9.7 km] to the east)
- Field (7 miles [11.3 km] to the west)
- Leanchoil (19 miles [30.6 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Leanchoil
- Leanchoil lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the southwest of Hector
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Leanchoil came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Leanchoil
- Castle Junction (21 miles [33.8 km] to the southeast)
- McMurdo (27 miles [43.5 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for McMurdo
- McMurdo lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<3> to the southwest of Hector
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for McMurdo came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on McMurdo
- Edelweiss (28 miles [45.1 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Edelweiss
- Edelweiss lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<3> to the west of Hector
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Edelweiss
- Golden (28 miles [45.1 km] to the west)
- Nicholson (28 miles [45.1 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nicholson
- Nicholson lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<3> to the southwest of Hector
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nicholson
- Parson (28 miles [45.1 km] to the southwest)
- Moberly (29 miles [46.7 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Moberly
- Moberly lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<3> to the west of Hector
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Moberly came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Moberly
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Hector ...
Looking for more information about Hector? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Hector, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Hector.
Adding Hector to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Hector on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Hector
Search for a Community located in British Columbia
About British Columbia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of British Columbia: https://www.gov.bc.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Hector and then turned west". While Hector could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Hector as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Hector could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Area code (778) is an overlay for area code (250).|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Hector) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Hector. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.4333, Longitude: -116.3333 |
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|