Welcome to Ruby ...
So far, we have found very little information about Ruby. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Ruby to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Ruby, please Contact Us.
Ruby would have been located within present day Santa Cruz County<2>.
Ruby was established in 1912.
The origin (or the toponymy) of Ruby: Named by Julis Andrews, the general store owner, for his wife.
While the community is gone, the present day location for Ruby is 4,180 feet [1,274 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the elevation of Ruby is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Ruby was located is in the Mountain Standard Time Zone (MST) and does not observe daylight saving time
The location where Ruby once stood is in the (520) area code.
Communities Also Named Ruby ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 32 communities that are also named Ruby - they are located in Alabama (2), Alaska, Colorado (3), Georgia (2), Idaho, Illinois, Kansas (2), Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi (2), Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Ontario, Oregon, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington (4) and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Ruby.
Communities near Ruby ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Ruby.
- Nogales [Santa Cruz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nogales
- Nogales [Santa Cruz County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the southeast of Ruby
- Estimated population in 2019: 20,103 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nogales
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Nogales<5>
- Arivaca [Pima County]
- Otero [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Otero
- Otero [Santa Cruz County] was located 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the east of Ruby
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Otero have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Rio Rico Northwest [Santa Cruz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rio Rico Northwest
- Rio Rico Northwest [Santa Cruz County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the east of Ruby
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rio Rico Northwest
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Rio Rico Southwest [Santa Cruz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rio Rico Southwest
- Rio Rico Southwest [Santa Cruz County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the east of Ruby
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rio Rico Southwest
- Tumacacori-Carmen [Santa Cruz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tumacacori-Carmen
- Tumacacori-Carmen [Santa Cruz County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the northeast of Ruby
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tumacacori-Carmen
- Tumacacori [Santa Cruz County]
- Calabasas [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Calabasas
- Calabasas [Santa Cruz County] was located 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the east of Ruby
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Calabasas have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Rio Rico Northeast [Santa Cruz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rio Rico Northeast
- Rio Rico Northeast [Santa Cruz County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the east of Ruby
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rio Rico Northeast
- Rio Rico [Santa Cruz County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Ruby. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Ruby.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Ruby. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Ruby.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Ruby. See our Newspapers Page for Ruby.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Arizona
About Santa Cruz County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Santa Cruz County: www.co.santa-cruz.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Ruby, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Arizona's counties, including Santa Cruz, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Ruby - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Ruby) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Ruby. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Ruby
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Ruby. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 31.4616, Longitude: -111.2366
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|