Welcome to Otero ...
So far, we have found very little information about Otero. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Otero to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Otero, please Contact Us.
Otero would have been located within present day Santa Cruz County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Otero, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
While the community is gone, the present day location for Otero is 3,330 feet [1,015 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of Otero is about ¾ mile [or 1 km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Otero was located is in the Mountain Standard Time Zone (MST) and does not observe daylight saving time
If Otero still existed, it would have been in the (520) area code.
Communities Also Named Otero ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 2 communities that are also named Otero - they are located in and New Mexico (2).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Otero.
Communities near Otero ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Otero.
- Nogales [Santa Cruz County]
- Patagonia [Santa Cruz County]
- Calabasas [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Calabasas
- Calabasas [Santa Cruz County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the southeast of Otero
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Calabasas have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Rio Rico [Santa Cruz County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Rio Rico Southwest [Santa Cruz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rio Rico Southwest
- Rio Rico Southwest [Santa Cruz County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the south of Otero
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rio Rico Southwest
- Rio Rico Southeast [Santa Cruz County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rio Rico Southeast
- Rio Rico Southeast [Santa Cruz County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the southeast of Otero
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rio Rico Southeast
- Tubac [Santa Cruz County]
- Salado [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Salado
- Salado [Santa Cruz County] was located 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the east of Otero
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Salado. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Alto [Santa Cruz County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Alto
- Alto [Santa Cruz County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<5> to the northeast of Otero
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Alto have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Amado [Santa Cruz County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Otero. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Otero.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Otero. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Otero.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Otero. See our Newspapers Page for Otero.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Arizona Community
About Santa Cruz County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Santa Cruz County: www.co.santa-cruz.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Otero, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Arizona's counties, including Santa Cruz, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Otero - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Otero) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Otero. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Otero
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Otero. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 31.5310, Longitude: -111.0152 In this case, the coordinates for Otero have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|