Our Genealogy Helper for Nolic ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Nolic (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Nolic. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Neighboring Counties ...
When searching for family records, we have frequently made the mistake of not checking the neighboring counties.
For example, we have great-grandparents who lived in the southeast corner of their home county. During their lives, most doctors and hospitals were in the next county to the east. Almost all of the nearby churches and cemeteries were in the county to the south.
So when searching for records, we had our best success by looking in neighboring counties instead of the county in which they lived: their home county contained property and probate records; the county to the east contained birth and death records; the county to the south contained their burial records. If we hadn't included the neighboring counties, we would have missed many valuable sources of information.
If you're in a similar situation, we hope that the following information helps.
Nolic is located in Pima County.
To see how the shape of Arizona's counties have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of Pima County: Cochise, Graham, Maricopa, Pinal, Santa Cruz & Yuma.
Below are the counties that are near Nolic. For each of these counties, we show a sample of those communities that are closest to Nolic:
- Pima County (The home county of Nolic)
- Ko Vaya [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ko Vaya
- Ko Vaya [Pima County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the northeast of Nolic
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ko Vaya
- Logan City [Pima County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Logan City
- Logan City [Pima County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<1> to the northwest of Nolic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Logan City. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Comobabi [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Comobabi
- Comobabi [Pima County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the east of Nolic
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Comobabi
- Sells [Pima County]
- Gu Oidak [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gu Oidak
- Gu Oidak [Pima County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<1> to the southwest of Nolic
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gu Oidak
- Allen [Pima County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Allen
- Allen [Pima County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the northwest of Nolic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Allen. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Ali Chukson [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ali Chukson
- Ali Chukson [Pima County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the southeast of Nolic
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ali Chukson
- Chiawuli Tak [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chiawuli Tak
- Chiawuli Tak [Pima County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the southeast of Nolic
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chiawuli Tak
- Maish Vaya [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Maish Vaya
- Maish Vaya [Pima County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the northwest of Nolic
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Maish Vaya
- Narcho Santos [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Narcho Santos
- Narcho Santos [Pima County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the northwest of Nolic
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Narcho Santos
- Ali Molina [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ali Molina
- Ali Molina [Pima County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the southeast of Nolic
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ali Molina
- Haivana Nakya [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Haivana Nakya
- Haivana Nakya [Pima County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<1> to the east of Nolic
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Haivana Nakya
- Cowlic [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cowlic
- Cowlic [Pima County] lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the south of Nolic
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cowlic
For an expanded list of the communities that are closest to Nolic, see our County-by-County Page for Nolic.
Newspapers Published in Nolic ...
An ongoing effort between the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) has resulted in the National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP).
To share their results, the partnership has created the Chronicling America website. The goal of this partnership is to assemble a database about the current and historic newspapers of the United States. This includes a growing collection of scanned images from selected papers. All of it available to the public on their website.
Using information that we've taken from the Chronicling America website, we've identified 4 newspapers that have been published in the area around Nolic.
Although we're unaware of any newspapers that were published in the immediate area of Nolic, there are papers which were published within 9 miles [14.5 km]. A list of those papers, sorted by paper name, can be found on the Extended Newspaper List for Nolic.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first turn to the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Nolic:
- Websites specific to Arizona
- Pages specific to Pima County
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Arizona
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Arizona
Cemeteries Near Nolic ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Nolic.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Nolic covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Nolic Cemetery
- Sikul Himatk Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Sikul Himatk Cemetery
- The Sikul Himatk Cemetery is located 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the southeast of Sells.To be more precise, Sikul Himatk Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km] to the northwest of Nolic.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sikul Himatk Cemetery
- Tohono O'odham Reservation Cemetery
- Haivana Nakya Cemetery
- Sil Nakya Cemetery
- Komlic Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Ak Chin Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Ak Chin Cemetery
- Ak Chin Cemetery lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the north of Nolic.
- Ak Chin Cemetery has also been known as:
- Akchin Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ak Chin Cemetery
- Cowlic Cemetery
- Pisinimo Cemetery
- Santa Rosa Francisco Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Santa Rosa Francisco Cemetery
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for the Santa Rosa Francisco Cemetery have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Santa Rosa Francisco Cemetery lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the north of Nolic.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Santa Rosa Francisco Cemetery
Nearby Communities in 1895 ...
We've built the following list with information that came from an Atlas published by Rand McNally in 1895. The Atlas had details such as the population of the community (which appears to have come from the 1890 Census) and whether there was a post office and/or railroad service available. We also indicate if the community no longer exists and is now historic.<6>
While we didn't find Nolic in the Atlas, the following 1895 communities would have been found near the current location of Nolic.
- Quijotoa [Pima County] - Historic
- While Quijotoa was mentioned in the 1895 Rand McNally Atlas, it no longer exists
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Quijotoa
- Quijotoa [Pima County] was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the northwest of Nolic
- From the 1895 Atlas, Quijotoa had a post office and no railroad service
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Quijotoa have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Nolic. See our List of 1890's Communities around Nolic.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Arizona
About Pima County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Nolic. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Pima County: www.co.pima.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Nolic) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Nolic. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Nolic
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Nolic. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 32.0359, Longitude: -111.9536
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<6>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Nolic, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|