Welcome to Tucson ...
The city of Tucson is located in Pima County<1> and is the County Seat for Pima County.
The pronunciation of Tucson: TOO-son<2>
When the people of Tucson refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Tucsonan<3>
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Tucson has a population of 548,961 people<4> (see below for details).
Tucson was established in 1775.
The community of Tucson is 2,680 feet [817 m] above sea level.<5> In other words, the altitude of Tucson is ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: Tucson lies in the Mountain Standard Time Zone (MST) and does not observe daylight saving time
The telephone area code for Tucson: (520)
The ZIP codes for Tucson: 85701-85726, 85728, 85730-85737, 85739-85752, 85754 85775, 85777<6>
Websites for Tucson ...
Official Website: www.cityoftucson.org/
Chamber of Commerce: www.tucsonchamber.org/
Junior League: JuniorLeagueofTucson.org/
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Tucson had an population of 548,961 people. This is an increase of 5.55% since the 2010 Census (or an increase of 12.79% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Tucson had a population of 520,116 people (which is 53.06% of the total population of Pima County). This makes Tucson the county's most populous community.
The population of Tucson represents 8.14% of the total population of Arizona (which has 6,392,017 people), making it the state's 2nd most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 520,116 people, the population of Tucson increased 6.87% from the 2000 Census (with a count of 486,699 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Tucson.
Communities Also Named Tucson ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found another community named Tucson - it's located in Ohio.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Tucson.
Communities near Tucson ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Tucson.
- Oro Valley [Pima County]
- Vandenberg Village [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Vandenberg Village
- Vandenberg Village [Pima County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<7> to the southeast of Tucson
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Vandenberg Village have been provided by the GNIS.<9> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Vandenberg Village
- Catalina Foothills [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Catalina Foothills
- Catalina Foothills [Pima County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<7> to the north of Tucson
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Catalina Foothills
- Drexel-Alvernon [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Drexel-Alvernon
- Drexel-Alvernon [Pima County] lies 5 miles [8 km]<7> to the south of Tucson
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Drexel-Alvernon
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Flowing Wells [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Flowing Wells
- Flowing Wells [Pima County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<7> to the northwest of Tucson
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Flowing Wells have been provided by the GNIS.<9> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Flowing Wells
- Littletown [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Littletown
- Littletown [Pima County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<7> to the southeast of Tucson
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Littletown have been provided by the GNIS.<9> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Littletown
- Casas Adobes [Pima County]
- Drexel Heights [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Drexel Heights
- Drexel Heights [Pima County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<7> to the southwest of Tucson
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Drexel Heights have been provided by the GNIS.<9> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Drexel Heights
- Wilmot [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wilmot
- Wilmot [Pima County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<7> to the southeast of Tucson
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Wilmot have been provided by the GNIS.<9> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wilmot
- Tucson Estates [Pima County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tucson Estates
- Tucson Estates [Pima County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<7> to the west of Tucson
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Tucson Estates have been provided by the GNIS.<9> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tucson Estates
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Tucson. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Tucson.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Tucson. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Tucson.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Tucson. Our list includes 199 papers. See our Newspapers Page for Tucson.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Tucson ...
Looking for more information about Tucson? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Tucson, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Tucson.
Adding Tucson to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Tucson in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Tucson was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Tucson
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Tucson on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Arizona
About Pima County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Tucson: www.cityoftucson.org/
The official website for Pima County: www.co.pima.az.us/
The official website for State of Arizona: https://az.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Arizona's counties, including Pima, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The pronunciation we've provided is our attempt to give a phonetic pronunciation for Tucson. While it might not be exactly right, hopefully it will be close. If we have it wrong or there's a better way to pronounce the name, please contact us through our Feedback Page.|
|<3>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Tucson refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a city's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Tucson may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<4>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Tucson.|
|<5>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Tucson - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<6>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a city (such as Tucson). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Tucson or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
Our list of ZIP Codes for Tucson includes: 85701, 85702, 85703, 85704, 85705, 85706, 85707, 85708, 85709, 85710, 85711, 85712, 85713, 85714, 85715, 85716, 85717, 85718, 85719, 85720, 85721, 85722, 85723, 85724, 85725, 85728, 85730, 85731, 85732, 85733, 85734, 85735, 85736, 85739, 85740, 85741, 85742, 85743, 85744, 85745, 85746, 85747, 85748, 85749, 85750, 85751, 85754 85775 & 85777.
|<7>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Tucson) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Tucson. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from TucsonOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Tucson. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 32.2215, Longitude: -110.9266 |
|<8>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<9>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|