Welcome to Wainwright ...
The town of Wainwright was founded in 1905.
The town of Wainwright was previously named Denwood.
Wainwright is 2,230 feet [680 m] above sea level.<1> In other words, the altitude of Wainwright is about ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: Wainwright lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Note: If you travel east from Wainwright (for example, toward Marsden (SK)), you will leave Mountain Time and cross into the Central Standard Time Zone (CST). In addition, you will be moving from an area that observes daylight saving time to one that does not.
Area codes for Wainwright: (780) and (587)<2>
The Canadian Postal Code for Wainwright: T9W<3>
Websites for Wainwright ...
Official Website: www.wainwright.ca/
Chamber of Commerce: www.wdchamber.com/
Communities Also Named Wainwright ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 7 communities that are also named Wainwright - they are located in Alabama, Alaska, Missouri, Ohio (2), Oklahoma and Texas.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Wainwright.
Communities near Wainwright ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Wainwright.
- Irma (16 miles [25.7 km] to the west)
- Edgerton (17 miles [27.4 km] to the east)
- Greenshields (5 miles [8 km] to the southeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greenshields
- Greenshields lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the southeast of Wainwright
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Greenshields came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greenshields
- Fabyan (6 miles [9.7 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fabyan
- Fabyan lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the northwest of Wainwright
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fabyan
- Heath (10 miles [16.1 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Heath
- Heath lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the east of Wainwright
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Heath came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Heath
- Amisk (20 miles [32.2 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Amisk
- Amisk lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<4> to the southwest of Wainwright
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Amisk
- Kinsella (20 miles [32.2 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kinsella
- Kinsella lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<4> to the northwest of Wainwright
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Kinsella came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kinsella
- Hardisty (22 miles [35.4 km] to the southwest)
- Hughenden (23 miles [37 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hughenden
- Hughenden lies 23 miles [37 km]<4> to the south of Wainwright
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hughenden
- Jarrow (23 miles [37 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jarrow
- Jarrow lies 23 miles [37 km]<4> to the west of Wainwright
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jarrow
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Wainwright ...
Looking for more information about Wainwright? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Wainwright, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Wainwright.
Adding Wainwright to Our Gazetteer ...
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Wainwright was on a map titled Road Map for Montana & Southern Alberta (from Shell Oil, 1951).
We also found Wainwright on a map titled Shell Oil Map of Alberta (1956).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Wainwright on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Wainwright
Visit our Community Index for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Wainwright: www.wainwright.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Wainwright - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<2>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (780).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Wainwright, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Wainwright). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Wainwright or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Wainwright) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Wainwright. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from WainwrightOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Wainwright. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 52.8387, Longitude: -110.8505 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|