Welcome to Viking ...
The town of Viking is 2,280 feet [695 m] above sea level.<1> In other words, the altitude of Viking is about ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: Viking lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Telephone area codes for Viking: (780) & (587)<2>
The Canadian Postal Code for Viking: T0B<3>
Communities Also Named Viking ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 5 communities that are also named Viking - they are located in California, Florida, Minnesota, North Dakota and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Viking.
Communities near Viking ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Viking.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jarrow
- Jarrow lies 18 miles [29 km]<4> to the southeast of Viking.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jarrow
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Holden
- Holden lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<4> to the northwest of Viking.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Holden
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bruce
- Bruce lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<4> to the northwest of Viking.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bruce came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bruce
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ranfurly
- Ranfurly lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<4> to the north of Viking.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ranfurly
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Strome
- Strome lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<4> to the southwest of Viking.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Strome
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kinsella
- Kinsella lies 23 miles [37 km]<4> to the east of Viking.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Kinsella came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kinsella
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Minburn
- Minburn lies 23 miles [37 km]<4> to the northeast of Viking.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Minburn
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Viking ...
Looking for more information about Viking? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Viking, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Viking.
Adding Viking to Our Gazetteer ...
From our reading, the published dated mention that we've found for Viking was on a map titled Road Map for Montana & Southern Alberta (from Shell Oil, 1951).
We also found Viking on a map titled Shell Oil Map of Alberta (1956).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Viking.
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Viking. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Viking - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<2>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (780).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Viking). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Viking or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Viking) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Viking. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from VikingOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Viking. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.0833, Longitude: -111.7833 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|