Welcome to Rochester ...
When the people of Rochester refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Rochesterian<1>
Time Zone: Rochester lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Area codes for Rochester: (780) & (587)<2>
The Canadian Postal Code for Rochester: T0G<3>
Adding Rochester to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Rochester was on a map titled Road Map for Montana & Southern Alberta (from Shell Oil, 1951).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Rochester on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Rochester ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 32 communities that are also named Rochester - they are located in California, Illinois (2), Indiana, Iowa, Kansas (6), Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana (2), Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Ohio (4), Pennsylvania, Texas, Vermont, Washington and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Rochester.
Communities near Rochester ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Rochester.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Thorhild
- Thorhild lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the southeast of Rochester
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Thorhild
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clyde
- Clyde lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the southwest of Rochester
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clyde
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Colinton
- Colinton lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the northeast of Rochester
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Colinton
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pibroch
- Pibroch lies 18 miles [29 km]<4> to the southwest of Rochester
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pibroch
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Larkspur
- Larkspur lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<4> to the west of Rochester
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Larkspur
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dapp
- Dapp lies 18 miles [29 km]<4> to the west of Rochester
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dapp
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Meanook
- Meanook lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the north of Rochester
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Meanook
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tawatinaw
- Tawatinaw lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the south of Rochester
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tawatinaw
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Perryvale
- Perryvale lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the northeast of Rochester
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Perryvale came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Perryvale
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nestow
- Nestow lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the southwest of Rochester
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nestow
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Rochester ...
Looking for more information about Rochester? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Rochester, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Rochester.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Rochester. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Rochester refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Rochester may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<2>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (780).|
|<3>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Rochester). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Rochester or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Rochester) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Rochester. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from RochesterOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Rochester. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 54.3714, Longitude: -113.4553 |
|<5>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|