Our Genealogy Helper for Orion ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Orion (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Orion. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Orion:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Orion ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Orion.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Orion covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Manyberries Cemetery
- Little Knoll Finnish Lutheran Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Little Knoll Finnish Lutheran Cemetery
- The Little Knoll Finnish Lutheran Cemetery is located 3 miles [4.8 km]<2> to the southwest of Manyberries.Little Knoll Finnish Lutheran Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km] to the east of Orion.
- Little Knoll Finnish Lutheran Cemetery has also been known as:
- Finnish Little Knoll Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Little Knoll Finnish Lutheran Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2548173<1>
- Evangelical Lutheran Church of Zion Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Zion Cemetery
- The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Zion Cemetery is located 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the south of Manyberries.Stated another way, Evangelical Lutheran Church of Zion Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km] to the east of Orion.
- Evangelical Lutheran Church of Zion Cemetery has also been known as:
- Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada (ELCC) Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Evangelical Lutheran Church of Zion Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2549406<1>
- New Home Cemetery
- Pleasant View Cemetery
- Pendant d'Oreille Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Pendant d'Oreille Cemetery
- The Pendant d'Oreille Cemetery is located 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the northeast of Manyberries.Pendant d'Oreille Cemetery lies 16 miles [25.7 km] to the south of Orion.
- Pendant d'Oreille Cemetery has also been known as:
- Jensen Cemetery
- Pleasant Plain Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pendant d'Oreille Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2469428<1>
- Nemiskam Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Nemiskam Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Nemiskam Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Nemiskam Cemetery lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<2> to the west of Orion.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nemiskam Cemetery
- St. Anthony RC Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Anthony RC Church Cemetery
- The St. Anthony RC Church Cemetery is located 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the south of Etzikom.More precisely, St. Anthony RC Church Cemetery lies 22 miles [35.4 km] to the northwest of Orion.
- St. Anthony RC Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Anthony RC Cemetery
- St. Anthony's Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Anthony RC Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2548158<1>
- Comrey Cemetery
- Fertile Plains Cemetery
- St. Joseph's Cemetery
- Seven Persons Cemetery
- Continue List (9 more) ...
- Foremost Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Foremost Cemetery
- Foremost Cemetery lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<2> to the west of Orion.
- Foremost Cemetery has also been known as:
- Foremost Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Foremost Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2209384<1>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Orion. See our List of 1890's Communities around Orion.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Orion
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Orion. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Orion) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Orion. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from OrionOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Orion. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.4540, Longitude: -110.8097 |
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|