Welcome to Opal ...
Time Zone: Opal lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: MST- Heure Normale des Rocheuses (HNR), MDT- Heure Avancée des Rocheuses (HAR).
Telephone area codes for Opal: (780) & (587)<1>
The Canadian Postal Code for Opal: T0A<2>
Communities Also Named Opal ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 13 communities that are also named Opal - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas (3), Michigan, Missouri, New Mexico, South Dakota, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming (2).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Opal.
Communities near Opal ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Opal.
- Gibbons (13 miles [20.9 km] to the south)
- Redwater (6 miles [9.7 km] to the southeast)
- Bon Accord (14 miles [22.5 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bon Accord
- Bon Accord lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<3> to the southwest of Opal
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bon Accord came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bon Accord
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bon Accord<4>
- Bruderhein (19 miles [30.6 km] to the southeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bruderhein
- Bruderhein lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the southeast of Opal
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bruderhein
- Legal (15 miles [24.1 km] to the west)
- Thorhild (10 miles [16.1 km] to the northeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Thorhild
- Thorhild lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<3> to the northeast of Opal
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Thorhild
- Clyde (18 miles [29 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clyde
- Clyde lies 18 miles [29 km]<3> to the northwest of Opal
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clyde
- Waskatenau (19 miles [30.6 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Waskatenau
- Waskatenau lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the east of Opal
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Waskatenau
- Vimy (16 miles [25.7 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Vimy
- Vimy lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<3> to the west of Opal
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Vimy
- Hewitt Estates (16 miles [25.7 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hewitt Estates
- Hewitt Estates lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<3> to the southwest of Opal
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hewitt Estates
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Opal ...
Looking for more information about Opal? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Opal, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Opal.
Adding Opal to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Opal was on a map titled Road Map for Montana & Southern Alberta (from Shell Oil, 1951).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Opal on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Opal
Search for a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Opal. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Area code (587) is an overlay for area code (780).|
|<2>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Opal, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Opal). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Opal or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Opal) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Opal. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from OpalOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Opal. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 54.0216, Longitude: -113.2361 |
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|