Our Genealogy Helper for Olds ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Olds (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Olds. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Olds:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Olds ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Olds.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Olds covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Olds Cemetery
- Hainstock Cemetery
- Didsbury Cemetery
- Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- The Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery is located 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the southwest of Carstairs.Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km] to the southeast of Olds.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery
- Eagle Hill Cemetery
- Mayton Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mayton Cemetery
- The Mayton Cemetery is located outside and to the northwest of Torrington.To be precise, Mayton Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the east of Olds.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mayton Cemetery
- Carstairs Cemetery
- Innisfail Cemetery
- Bergen Cemetery
- Wimborne Cemetery
- Cremona Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Cremona Cemetery
- The Cremona Cemetery is located less than 2 miles<2> to the northwest of Cremona.To be more precise, Cremona Cemetery lies 23 miles [37 km] to the southwest of Olds.
- Cremona Cemetery has also been known as:
- Cemona Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cremona Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2513584<1>
- Big Prairie Cemetery
- Continue List (24 more) ...
- Crossfield Cemetery
- Sundre & District Cemetery
- Horn Hill Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Olds. See our List of 1890's Communities around Olds.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Mentions & References for Olds
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Olds: www.olds.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Olds) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Olds. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from OldsOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Olds. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.7833, Longitude: -114.1000 |
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|