Curious and Interesting Names Near Okotoks ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Black Diamond
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blackie
- Blackie lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the southeast of Okotoks.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blackie
- Deer Run
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Deer Run
- Deer Run lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the north of Okotoks.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Deer Run
- Forest Lawn
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Forest Lawn
- Forest Lawn lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the north of Okotoks.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Forest Lawn came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Forest Lawn
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Haysboro
- Haysboro lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the north of Okotoks.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Haysboro
- High River
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Janet
- Janet lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the north of Okotoks.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Janet came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Janet
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Longview
- Longview lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the southwest of Okotoks.
- Former names for Longview:
- Little Chicago
- New York
- Little New York
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Longview
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Longview<2>
- Two Guns
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Two Guns
- Two Guns lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the northwest of Okotoks.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Two Guns
How Far From Okotoks to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Okotoks to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Okotoks and extending to:
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 195 miles [313.8 km]<1> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Okotoks to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 11 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 8 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,782 miles [2,867.9 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 70 days and walking would take 102 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,430 miles [10,348.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,197 miles [11,582.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,266 miles [8,474.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Okotoks: www.okotoks.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Okotoks) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Okotoks. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from OkotoksOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Okotoks. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.7249, Longitude: -113.9750 |
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Okotoks to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.164 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.911 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.943 degrees.||