Below is our collection of tidbits, odds 'n ends for Newbrook.
This page contains two sections:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Newbrook ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
Amber Valley - 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the North of Newbrook [Map]
Clyde - 30 miles [48.3 km] to the Southwest [Map]
Deerland - 30 miles [48.3 km] to the South [Map]
Hollow Lake - 9 miles [14.5 km] to the Southeast [Map]
Opal - 24 miles [38.6 km] to the Southwest [Map]
Redwater - 26 miles [41.8 km] to the South [Map]
Smoky Lake - 24 miles [38.6 km] to the Southeast [Map]
Sprucefield - 11 miles [17.7 km] to the Southeast [Map]
Weasel Creek - 10 miles [16.1 km] to the South [Map]
How Far From Newbrook to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Newbrook to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Newbrook and extending to:
- Edmonton [Map], which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 58 miles [93.3 km] to the South Southwest (SSW). If you could walk a straight line from Newbrook to Edmonton, with an average speed<2> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take over two days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON [Map]) is 1,743 miles [2,805.1 km] to the East (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take most of three days, a buggy would take 68 days and walking would take 99 days.
- The shortest distance<3> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock [Map]) is 6,188 miles [9,958.6 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<4>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba [Map]) is 6,954 miles [11,191.4 km] and it lies to the North Northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican [Map]) is 5,045 miles [8,119.1 km] and it lies to the Northeast (NE).<6>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Newbrook. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Newbrook) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Newbrook. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Newbrook
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Newbrook. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 54.3294, Longitude: -112.9507 [Map].
|<2>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<3>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Newbrook to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<4>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.375 degrees.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.316 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.645 degrees.|