Curious and Interesting Names Near Nestow ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Bon Accord
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bon Accord came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bon Accord
- Bon Accord lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the south of Nestow
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bon Accord
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bon Accord<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clyde
- Clyde lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the south of Nestow
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clyde
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Freedom
- Freedom lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the west of Nestow
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Freedom
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Highridge came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Highridge
- Highridge lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the southwest of Nestow
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Highridge
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Larkspur
- Larkspur lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the northwest of Nestow
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Larkspur
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Opal came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Opal
- Opal lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the southeast of Nestow
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Opal
- Weasel Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Weasel Creek came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Weasel Creek
- Weasel Creek lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the east of Nestow
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Weasel Creek
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Nestow. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Greg Polis (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born in Westlock (Alberta) on Tueday August 8, 1950 and died in Victoria (British Columbia) on Sunday March 18, 2018 at the age of 67. He is buried at Dapp Cemetery (Alberta).
- Westlock is located 11 miles [17.7 km] to the southwest of Nestow.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Greg Polis<4>
How Far From Nestow to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Nestow to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Nestow and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 47 miles [75.6 km]<2> to the south (S). If you could walk a straight line from Nestow to Edmonton, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take about three full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of two days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,768 miles [2,845.3 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take most of three days, a buggy would take 69 days and walking would take 101 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,205 miles [9,986 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,971 miles [11,218.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,067 miles [8,154.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Nestow. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Nestow) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Nestow. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Nestow
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Nestow. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 54.2394, Longitude: -113.5936
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Nestow to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.896 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.895 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.097 degrees.||