Curious and Interesting Names Near Nanton ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Black Diamond (30 miles [48.3 km] to the northwest)
- Blackie (19 miles [30.6 km] to the north)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blackie
- Blackie lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the north of Nanton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blackie
- Champion (28 miles [45.1 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Champion
- Champion lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the east of Nanton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Champion came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Champion
- Ensign (17 miles [27.4 km] to the northeast)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ensign
- Ensign lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the northeast of Nanton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Ensign came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ensign
- High River (16 miles [25.7 km] to the north)
- Longview (23 miles [37 km] to the northwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Longview
- Longview lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the northwest of Nanton
- Former names for Longview:
- Little Chicago
- New York
- Little New York
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Longview
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Longview<2>
- Vulcan (22 miles [35.4 km] to the east)
- Woodhouse (29 miles [46.7 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Woodhouse
- Woodhouse lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the south of Nanton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Woodhouse came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Woodhouse
How Far From Nanton to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Nanton to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Nanton and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 221 miles [355.7 km]<1> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Nanton to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take nearly four hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 13 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 9 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,775 miles [2,856.6 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 70 days and walking would take 101 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,450 miles [10,380.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,217 miles [11,614.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,282 miles [8,500.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Notable Births & Deaths for Nanton
Mentions & References for Nanton
Find a Community within Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Nanton: www.town.nanton.ab.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Nanton) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Nanton. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from NantonOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Nanton. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.3447, Longitude: -113.7759 |
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Nanton to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.994 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.687 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.87 degrees.||