Curious and Interesting Names Near Maycroft ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Beaver Mines
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Beaver Mines came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beaver Mines
- Beaver Mines lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<2> to the south of Maycroft
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beaver Mines
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Beaver Mines<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Crowsnest
- Crowsnest lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the southwest of Maycroft
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crowsnest
- Crowsnest Pass
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Crowsnest Pass came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Crowsnest Pass
- Crowsnest Pass lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the southwest of Maycroft
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crowsnest Pass
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Crowsnest Pass<3>
- Elk Prairie
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Elk Prairie
- Elk Prairie lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<2> to the west of Maycroft
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elk Prairie
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Frank came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Frank
- Frank lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<2> to the southwest of Maycroft
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Frank
- Line Creek
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Line Creek came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Line Creek
- Line Creek lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the west of Maycroft
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Line Creek
- Natal - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Natal. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Natal
- Natal was located 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the west of Maycroft
- Pincher Creek
- Pincher Station
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pincher Station
- Pincher Station lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the southeast of Maycroft
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pincher Station
How Far From Maycroft to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Maycroft to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Maycroft and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 258 miles [415.2 km]<2> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Maycroft to Edmonton, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take four to five hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 15 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 10 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,798 miles [2,893.6 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 71 days and walking would take 103 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,491 miles [10,446.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,258 miles [11,680.6 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,322 miles [8,564.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Maycroft. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Maycroft) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Maycroft. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Maycroft
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Maycroft. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.8258, Longitude: -114.2268
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Maycroft to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.342 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 335.044 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.237 degrees.||