Curious and Interesting Names Near Luzan ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chipman
- Chipman lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the southwest of Luzan
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Chipman came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chipman
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Deerland
- Deerland lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the west of Luzan
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Deerland came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Deerland
- Hairy Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hairy Hill
- Hairy Hill lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the east of Luzan
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hairy Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Inland
- Inland lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the south of Luzan
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Inland
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Saddle Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Saddle Lake
- Saddle Lake lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the northeast of Luzan
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Saddle Lake came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Saddle Lake
- Smoky Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Star
- Star lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the west of Luzan
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Star
- Two Hills
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Two Hills
- Two Hills lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the east of Luzan
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Two Hills
How Far From Luzan to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Luzan to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Luzan and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 54 miles [86.9 km]<1> to the west southwest (WSW). If you could walk a straight line from Luzan to Edmonton, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take over two days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,712 miles [2,755.2 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take most of three days, a buggy would take 67 days and walking would take 98 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,208 miles [9,990.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,975 miles [11,225.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,056 miles [8,136.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Luzan) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Luzan. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.8023, Longitude: -112.2576 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Luzan to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.816 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 333.64 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.281 degrees.||