Our Genealogy Helper for Lille ...
So far, we have found very little information about Lille. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Lille to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Lille, please Contact Us.
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Lille (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Lille. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Lille ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
Lille was originally named French Camp
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
A Few Details for Lille ...
While it's still very early in our research, we have found that:
- Lille was established in 1901.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Lille:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
- Stories from British Columbia
Cemeteries Near Lille ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Lille.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Lille covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Lille Cemetery
- Blairmore Union Cemetery (New)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Blairmore Union Cemetery (New)
- The Blairmore Union Cemetery (New) is located outside and to the north of Blairmore.
- Blairmore Union Cemetery (New) has also been known as:
- Miner's Union New Cemetery
- New Blairmore Union Cemetery
- New Union Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blairmore Union Cemetery (New)
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2445875<2>
- St. Annes RC Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Annes RC Cemetery
- The St. Annes RC Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the north of Blairmore.
- St. Annes RC Cemetery has also been known as:
- Blairmore Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Annes RC Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2316391<2>
- Blairmore Union Cemetery (Old)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Blairmore Union Cemetery (Old)
- The Blairmore Union Cemetery (Old) is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the northeast of Blairmore.
- Blairmore Union Cemetery (Old) has also been known as:
- Blairmore Union Cemetery
- Old Blairmore Union Cemetery
- Old Union Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blairmore Union Cemetery (Old)
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2274934<2>
- St. Cyril's Catholic Cemetery
- Bellevue Union Cemetery
- Coleman Catholic Cemetery
- Coleman Union Cemetery
- Hillcrest Mines Cemetery
- Passburg Cemetery
- United Doukhobors of Alberta Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the United Doukhobors of Alberta Cemetery
- United Doukhobors of Alberta Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<3> to the southeast of Lille.
- United Doukhobors of Alberta Cemetery has also been known as:
- Doukhobor Cemetery
- United Doukhobors Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on United Doukhobors of Alberta Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2526341<2>
- Livingstone Cemetery
- Continue List (17 more) ...
- Cowley Cemetery
- Pincher Creek Colony
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Pincher Creek Colony
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Pincher Creek Colony. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Pincher Creek Colony lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<3> to the southeast of Lille.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pincher Creek Colony
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2660492<2>
- Elk Valley Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Elk Valley Cemetery
- Elk Valley Cemetery lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<3> to the west of Lille.
- Elk Valley Cemetery has also been known as:
- Elk Valley Sparwood Municipal Cemetery
- Michel Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elk Valley Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2455519<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Lille. See our List of 1890's Communities around Lille.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
The Communities of Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Lille, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Lille) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Lille. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from LilleOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Lille. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.6515, Longitude: -114.3958 |
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|