Our Genealogy Helper for Leedale ...
Although we found mention of Leedale during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Leedale was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Leedale (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Leedale. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first visit the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Leedale:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Leedale ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Leedale.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Leedale covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Bradshaw Cemetery
- West Haven Cemetery
- Mt. Auburn Cemetery
- Vig Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Vig Cemetery
- Vig Cemetery lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<3> to the southeast of Leedale.
- Vig Cemetery has also been known as:
- Vig Lutheran Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Vig Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2418719<2>
- Eckville Cemetery
- Hoadley Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Bentley Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bentley Cemetery
- The Bentley Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the southeast of Bentley.To be more accurate, Bentley Cemetery lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<3> to the southeast of Leedale.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bentley Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2414665<2>
- Horseguard Cemetery
- Kuusamo Cemetery
- Bentley Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bentley Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery
- The Bentley Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery is located 2 miles [3.2 km]<3> to the north of Bentley.Bentley Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery lies 21 miles [33.8 km] to the southeast of Leedale.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bentley Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery
- Pine Grove Cemetery
- Bentley Colony Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bentley Colony Cemetery
- The Bentley Colony Cemetery is located 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the northwest of Bentley.More accurately, Bentley Colony Cemetery lies 23 miles [37 km] to the southeast of Leedale.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bentley Colony Cemetery
- West Meadows Cemetery
- Lakeview Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Lakeview Cemetery
- Lakeview Cemetery lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<3> to the southeast of Leedale.
- Lakeview Cemetery has also been known as:
- Lake View Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lakeview Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2379295<2>
- Aspelund Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Aspelund Cemetery
- The Aspelund Cemetery is located 9 miles [14.5 km]<3> to the southeast of Red Deer.Aspelund Cemetery lies 26 miles [41.8 km] to the southeast of Leedale.
- Aspelund Cemetery has also been known as:
- Aspeland Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Aspelund Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2500225<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Leedale. See our List of 1890's Communities around Leedale.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Leedale and then turned west". While Leedale could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Leedale as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Leedale could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Alberta community named Leedale.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Leedale) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Leedale. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from LeedaleOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Leedale. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 52.5833, Longitude: -114.4833 |