Communities Also Named Lavoy ...
We have found one communities that share the name Lavoy.
Within Alberta, the name Lavoy is unique.
Beyond Alberta, there is another community also named Lavoy in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- West Virginia
- Mingo County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the West Virginia community of Lavoy [Mingo County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Lavoy ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bruce came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bruce
- Bruce lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<3> to the southwest of Lavoy
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bruce
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Chipman came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chipman
- Chipman lies 35 miles [56.3 km]<3> to the northwest of Lavoy
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chipman
- Hairy Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hairy Hill
- Hairy Hill lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<3> to the north of Lavoy
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hairy Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Inland
- Inland lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<3> to the west of Lavoy
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Inland
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Poe came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Poe
- Poe lies 23 miles [37 km]<3> to the southwest of Lavoy
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Poe
- Two Hills
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Two Hills
- Two Hills lies 18 miles [29 km]<3> to the north of Lavoy
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Two Hills
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Viking came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Viking
- Viking lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<3> to the south of Lavoy
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Viking
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Viking<4>
How Far From Lavoy to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a village such as Lavoy to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Lavoy and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 67 miles [107.8 km]<3> to the west (W). If you could walk a straight line from Lavoy to Edmonton, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take three full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take about three full days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,694 miles [2,726.2 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take most of three days, a buggy would take 67 days and walking would take 97 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,221 miles [10,011.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,989 miles [11,247.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,064 miles [8,149.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Lavoy. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Lavoy could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Lavoy) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Lavoy. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Lavoy
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Lavoy. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.4576, Longitude: -111.8654
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Lavoy to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.50 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 333.253 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.085 degrees.||