Curious and Interesting Names Near High River ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Black Diamond
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blackie
- Blackie lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the east of High River
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blackie
- Deer Run
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Deer Run
- Deer Run lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the north of High River
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Deer Run
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ensign
- Ensign lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the east of High River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Ensign came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ensign
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Haysboro
- Haysboro lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the north of High River
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Haysboro
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Janet
- Janet lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the north of High River
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Janet came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Janet
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Longview
- Longview lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the west of High River
- Former names for Longview:
- Little Chicago
- New York
- Little New York
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Longview
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Longview<2>
- Two Guns
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Two Guns
- Two Guns lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the northwest of High River
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Two Guns
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding High River. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Joe Clark (20th Prime Minister of Canada (June 1979 - March 1980))
- 20th Prime Minister of Canada (June 1979 - March 1980). He was born in High River on Monday June 5, 1939
- Murray Albert 'Bert' Olmstead (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born in Sceptre (Saskatchewan) on Saturday September 4, 1926 and died in High River on Tueday November 17, 2015 at the age of 89.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Murray Albert 'Bert' Olmstead<4>
How Far From High River to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as High River to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in High River and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 205 miles [329.9 km]<1> to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from High River to Edmonton, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 12 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 8 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,778 miles [2,861.4 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 70 days and walking would take 101 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,437 miles [10,359.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,205 miles [11,595.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,272 miles [8,484.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for High River: www.highriver.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- High River) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for High River. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from High RiverOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in High River. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.5802, Longitude: -113.8708 |
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from High River to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.076 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.80 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.897 degrees.||