Communities Also Named Gibbons ...
We have found four communities that share the name Gibbons.
Within Alberta, the name Gibbons is unique.
Beyond Alberta, we know of another four communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Autauga County
- This community is historic<1> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Alabama community of Gibbons [Autauga County].
- Saline County
- This community is historic<1> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Arkansas community of Gibbons [Saline County].
- Sharkey County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Mississippi community of Gibbons [Sharkey County].
- Dunklin County
- This Gibbons is located in Dunklin County and lies 1,656 miles [2,665.1 km]<3> to the southeast.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gibbons
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Dunklin County community of Gibbons.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Gibbons ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Beverly (18 miles [29 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Beverly
- Beverly lies 18 miles [29 km]<3> to the south of Gibbons
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Beverly came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Beverly
- Bon Accord (3 miles [4.8 km] to the west)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bon Accord
- Bon Accord lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<3> to the west of Gibbons
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bon Accord came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bon Accord
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bon Accord<5>
- Carbondale (9 miles [14.5 km] to the southwest)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Carbondale
- Carbondale lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<3> to the southwest of Gibbons
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Carbondale came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Carbondale
- Deerland (19 miles [30.6 km] to the east)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Deerland
- Deerland lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the east of Gibbons
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Deerland came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Deerland
- Gold Bar (19 miles [30.6 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gold Bar
- Gold Bar lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the south of Gibbons
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gold Bar came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gold Bar
- Legal (13 miles [20.9 km] to the northwest)
- Opal (13 miles [20.9 km] to the north)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Opal
- Opal lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<3> to the north of Gibbons
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Opal came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Opal
- Redwater (12 miles [19.3 km] to the northeast)
- Virginia Park (19 miles [30.6 km] to the south)
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Virginia Park
- Virginia Park lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the south of Gibbons
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Virginia Park
How Far From Gibbons to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Gibbons to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Gibbons and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<3> to the south southwest (SSW). If you could walk a straight line from Gibbons to Edmonton, with an average speed<6> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of a day.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,756 miles [2,826 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take most of three days, a buggy would take 69 days and walking would take 100 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,226 miles [10,019.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,992 miles [11,252.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,082 miles [8,178.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
Notable Births & Deaths for Gibbons
Mentions & References for Gibbons
Find a Community in Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Gibbons. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Gibbons, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Gibbons could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Gibbons) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Gibbons. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from GibbonsOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Gibbons. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 53.8283, Longitude: -113.3276 |
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Gibbons to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 333.68 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 334.618 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.994 degrees.||