Our Genealogy Helper
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Didsbury (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Didsbury. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Didsbury:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
Cemeteries Near Didsbury ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Didsbury.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Didsbury covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
The following cemeteries are listed based on their distance from Didsbury, with the one closest to Didsbury listed first.
- Didsbury Cemetery
(Less than 2 miles to the south)
- Carstairs Cemetery
(6 miles [9.7 km] to the south)
- Olds Cemetery
(8 miles [12.9 km] to the north)
- Hainstock Cemetery
(9 miles [14.5 km] to the north)
- Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery
(10 miles [16.1 km] to the east)
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- To give a relative sense of its location, the Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery is located 9 miles [14.5 km]<3> to the southwest of Carstairs.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Bergthal Mennonite Cemetery
- Cremona Cemetery
(16 miles [25.7 km] to the southwest)
- To give a relative sense of its location, the Cremona Cemetery is located less than 2 miles<3> to the northwest of Cremona.
- The Cremona Cemetery has also been known as:
- Cemona Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Cremona Cemetery
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Cremona Cemetery
- Jump to Find-A-Grave: FG ID #2513584 <1>
- Crossfield Cemetery
(16 miles [25.7 km] to the south)
- Eagle Hill Cemetery
(17 miles [27.4 km] to the northwest)
- Big Prairie Cemetery
(19 miles [30.6 km] to the west)
- Mayton Cemetery
(19 miles [30.6 km] to the northeast)
- To give a relative sense of its location, the Mayton Cemetery is located outside and to the northwest of Torrington.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mayton Cemetery
- Jump to a Google Map centered on Mayton Cemetery
- Bergen Cemetery
(20 miles [32.2 km] to the west)
- West Brook Cemetery
(23 miles [37 km] to the southwest)
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Wimborne Cemetery
(26 miles [41.8 km] to the northeast)
- Innisfail Cemetery
(26 miles [41.8 km] to the north)
- Sundre & District Cemetery
(26 miles [41.8 km] to the northwest)
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Didsbury. See our List of 1890's Communities around Didsbury.
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Didsbury: www.didsbury.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Didsbury) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Didsbury. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from DidsburyOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Didsbury. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.6614, Longitude: -114.1359 |