Curious and Interesting Names Near Carstairs ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Acme
- Acme lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the east of Carstairs
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Acme
- Coral Springs
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Coral Springs
- Coral Springs lies 30 miles [48.3 km] to the south of Carstairs
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Coral Springs
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dogpound
- Dogpound lies 13 miles [20.9 km] to the southwest of Carstairs
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dogpound
- Continue List (7 more) ...
- Eagle Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Eagle Hill
- Eagle Hill lies 22 miles [35.4 km] to the northwest of Carstairs
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Eagle Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Highwood
- Highwood lies 30 miles [48.3 km] to the south of Carstairs
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Highwood
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sunnyslope
- Sunnyslope lies 24 miles [38.6 km] to the east of Carstairs
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sunnyslope
- Valley Ridge
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Valley Ridge
- Valley Ridge lies 30 miles [48.3 km] to the south of Carstairs
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Valley Ridge
- Vista Heights
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Vista Heights
- Vista Heights lies 31 miles [49.9 km] to the south of Carstairs
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Vista Heights
- Water Valley
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Carstairs. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Gary Ralph Buck (Musician)
- Musician. He was born on Thursday March 21, 1940 and died in Didsbury (Alberta) on Wednesday October 15, 2003 at the age of 63. He is buried at Didsbury Cemetery (Alberta).
- Didsbury is located 8 miles [12.9 km] to the north of Carstairs.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Gary Ralph Buck<2>
How Far From Carstairs to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Carstairs to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Carstairs and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 141 miles [226.9 km] to the north (N). If you could drive a straight line from Carstairs to Edmonton, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 8 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,785 miles [2,872.7 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 70 days and walking would take 102 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,382 miles [10,270.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,149 miles [11,505.2 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,226 miles [8,410.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Carstairs: www.carstairs.ca/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Carstairs) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Carstairs. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Carstairs
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Carstairs. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.5333, Longitude: -114.1000
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Carstairs to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 334.281 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 335.111 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 321.90 degrees.||