Curious and Interesting Names Near Bow Island ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Conquerville - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Conquerville. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Conquerville
- Conquerville was located 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the southeast of Bow Island
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Goat came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Goat
- Goat lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the west of Bow Island
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Goat
- Grassy Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grassy Lake
- Grassy Lake lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the west of Bow Island
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grassy Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hays came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hays
- Hays lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the west of Bow Island
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hays
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Juno
- Juno lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the west of Bow Island
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Juno
- Purple Springs
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Purple Springs
- Purple Springs lies 23 miles [37 km]<2> to the west of Bow Island
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Purple Springs
- Seven Persons
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Seven Persons came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Seven Persons
- Seven Persons lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the east of Bow Island
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Seven Persons
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sevenpersons came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sevenpersons
- Sevenpersons lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<2> to the east of Bow Island
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sevenpersons
How Far From Bow Island to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Bow Island to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Bow Island and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Edmonton, which is the Provincial Capital of Alberta, lies 270 miles [434.5 km]<2> to the north northwest (NNW). If you could drive a straight line from Bow Island to Edmonton, with an average speed<4>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take four to five hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 16 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 11 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,670 miles [2,687.6 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 66 days and walking would take 95 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,431 miles [10,349.7 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,200 miles [11,587.3 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,240 miles [8,433 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Bow Island: www.bowisland.com/
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Bow Island) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Bow Island. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Bow Island
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Bow Island. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 49.8667, Longitude: -111.3667
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Bow Island to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.054 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 332.428 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 320.391 degrees.||