Our Genealogy Helper for Bottrell ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Bottrell (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Bottrell. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Bottrell ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
Other variations include: Botterel and Bottrel.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first turn to the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Bottrell:
- Websites specific to Alberta
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Alberta
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Alberta
Cemeteries Near Bottrell ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Bottrell.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Bottrell covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- West Brook Cemetery
- Cremona Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Cremona Cemetery
- The Cremona Cemetery is located less than 2 miles<1> to the northwest of Cremona.To be precise, Cremona Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km] to the north of Bottrell.
- Cremona Cemetery has also been known as:
- Cemona Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cremona Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2513584<2>
- Big Prairie Cemetery
- Mitford Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Mitford Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Mitford Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Mitford Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the south of Bottrell.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mitford Cemetery
- St. Andrew's Cemetery
- St. Mary's RC Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Mary's RC Cemetery
- The St. Mary's RC Cemetery is located in Cochrane.To be more accurate, St. Mary's RC Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the south of Bottrell.
- St. Mary's RC Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Mary's RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Mary's RC Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #1980174<2>
- Carstairs Cemetery
- Crossfield Cemetery
- Wesley Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Wesley Cemetery
- Wesley Cemetery lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<1> to the southwest of Bottrell.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wesley Cemetery
- Springbank United Church Cemetery
- Airdrie Cemetery
- Bergen Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bergen Cemetery
- The Bergen Cemetery is located outside and to the east of Bergen.To be more accurate, Bergen Cemetery lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the north of Bottrell.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bergen Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2272206<2>
- Continue List (21 more) ...
- Didsbury Cemetery
- Eden Brook Memorial Gardens
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Eden Brook Memorial Gardens
- The Eden Brook Memorial Gardens is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the west of Calgary.Stated another way, Eden Brook Memorial Gardens lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the south of Bottrell.
- Eden Brook Memorial Gardens has also been known as:
- Holy Family Catholic Cemetery
- Holy Family Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Eden Brook Memorial Gardens
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #1035052<2>
- Queen's Park Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Queen's Park Cemetery
- The Queen's Park Cemetery is a very large cemetery that is located in Calgary.Stated another way, Queen's Park Cemetery lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the southeast of Bottrell.
- Queen's Park Cemetery has also been known as:
- Calgary Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Queen's Park Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #639344<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Bottrell. See our List of 1890's Communities around Bottrell.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Recent Changes to RoadsideThoughts ...
The Communities of Alberta
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Bottrell. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Bottrell) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Bottrell. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from BottrellOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Bottrell. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.4021, Longitude: -114.4704 |
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|